gps mount on pedestal question

Previous topic - Next topic

mainesail

FWIW I have had no less than three customers mount hardwired plotters atop a pedestal guard so they can spin it, usually against my advice, only to have them ripped out by the roots, broken or destroyed when crew or a line snagged them. The top of the guard is meant as a hand hold... It you want a rotatable plotter I'd suggest using a iPad or android as a a helm display repeate" or redundant plotter. Try to keep any mounts keep it below the curve of the guard hand hold & try not to place it in the way of crew reaching to break a fall by using the pedestal guard.. I suppose the good news is one customer, who would not take no for an answer, is getting a new Raymarine in a few weeks and I get to bill the job all over again only this time all the hard work has been done. He's still putting it back in the same spot... (grin)

Another two customers mounted pods that rotatet and never kept track of the "wind up" and ripped plugs out of plotters by the roots. "Hmm this thing is getting tough to turn, I'll just force it. Oh $hit!"Both plotters were ruined and had to be sent back for factory repair.

When installing plotters always imagine you are in rough seas and now imagine you are falling and where you will reach to break a fall first.. Bingo! 8 times out of 10, when you're in the cockpit, it's the pedestal guard is what you'll reach for...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

My problem is sticking ANYTHING that you don't need to (NO LESS SHOULDN'T BE) looking at 100% of the time SMACK DAB in middle of the helm person's line of sight. 

Why don't we stick a GPS smack in the middle of your windshield line of sight?  Well, passing vehicles at interstate highway speed, I've seen some BOZOs come very close to that.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 08, 2017, 03:21:53 PM
My problem is sticking ANYTHING that you don't need to (NO LESS SHOULDN'T BE) looking at 100% of the time SMACK DAB in middle of the helm person's line of sight.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So true:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4232.msg24252.html#msg24252

One of my mantras is to "avoid being a slave behind the wheel."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

By using the "ball" type RAM mounts, when the tablet is moved to under the dodger only the ball remains as seen in the attached photo. The ball on the pedastal is angled slightly toward the wheel.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon- I am thinking, in a good seaway, you will grow to hate that ball on the top of the angle guard.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Only one way to find out, but that is the beauty of this mount. Loosen two nuts and rotate it to a different spot, or put it somewhere else. No holes or wires to worry about. Maybe put overhead on the Bimini (when I get one).
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Here's an idea for you

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

kerk fisher

Thanks for all these fabulous suggestions. I hope these ideas have been helpful for others as well.  Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

All : I made my Garmin Chart Plotter clamp on to the pedestal guard with a simple 1" rail clamp and a cigarette lighter plug for 12v power.

I found this handy so I could remover the unit from the steering station and take it below to program a route at my leisure!  Also to secure it below when in the slip and not in use!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788