gps mount on pedestal question

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

Q1:  I'm very far from "into the Mystic."  What is the diameter of the pedestal guard tube?

Q:  Any ideas on how to buy/create a Garmin 741 mount that will both rotate AND move around the Pedestal guard tubing from vertical side to the center of the rounded top?  Haven't found one online...

Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kirk : The pedestal guard for the steering station is one inch.
If you look in the Mainsheet tech notes, I wrote an article w/picture on how I mounted a Garmin Map Plotter on that guard with a rail clamp.

Great articles in those Mainsheet tech notes!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

kerk fisher

Thanks, Ron.  I tried to see your 2009 article but each time I went to the site it didn't let me in, with the popup "The user name or password you entered for c34.org:80 was incorrect. Make sure you're entering them correctly, and then try again."  The user name and password I used for Tech notes is the same I use to get into the main login.  Top left says " Hello kerk fisher.  I wrote to the treasurer (figuring he dealt with membership) and haven't heard a reply.. Can you help?  I'd love to see your article.d  Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Dave Spencer

Hi Kerk,
To access the Tech Notes you need to be a member of the C34 International Association. There is a separate login for the Tech Notes vs this forum.  It's explained in the "sticky threads" at the top of the forum menu. If you're a member, of the C34IA, I'm sure the Secretary can remind you of your password. If not, I highly recommend joining. It's inexpensive and the quarterly Mainsheet magazine is professionally produced, informative and interesting. A rare excellent value in the sailing world! :clap
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=4782.0

Maybe we'll see you in the North Channel this summer.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Quote from: kerk fisher on May 29, 2017, 01:57:02 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The user name and password I used for Tech notes is the same I use to get into the main login.  Top left says " Hello kerk fisher. >>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kerk, that's because, as Dave notes, it is not.

Look at the first sticky on the forum and get in touch with me by email.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kerk fisher

Thanks to all. Ron, the article was helpful.  Dave and Kathy, keep your eyes open for us and we'll listen for you on the Cruisers net.  Thanks Stu.  Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Set2sea

I just mounted a Garmin 74V on the pedestal. I wanted it low so it wouldn't block forward view as I already have an instrument box just above compass, also as I put it on top of the compass, it was swinging the compass. So I located it just in front of the wheel, probably about 2 oclock, RH side. I can rest my hand on the wheel and hit the buttons outside of the wheel. I used all standard 1" sst tube parts except for 1/4" aluminum plate, an opening tee - hinges open to get on vertical pedestal tube, horizontal tube to 1" sst elbow, vertical tube to a stantion base to have the 1/4" plate to sit on. Then the Garmin bracket gets bolted to that. If you are interested and I can figure out how to attach a picture, I will
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Sailing48N

I've been looking at mounting options for my B&G install quite extensively. I too wanted to be able to swivel the chartplotter to face the cockpit as we sit there quite often when the autopilot is engaged.

Here's some options to consider that might be just what you are looking for.
Scanstrut RL-RM - FIXED RAIL MOUNT

I'm not sure if this is the correct "top plate" for your plotter but I think it is...
Scanstrut RL-507 ROKK 'TOP PLATE'

I ended up going with this...
Scanstrut RL-ARM - ADJUSTABLE RAIL MOUNT

I chose this thinking that mounting slightly to the side would be my preferred spot. However, I think I might be leaning towards Maine Sail's mounting option and forget about having having chartplotter swivel to face forward. I'll try out what I've got for a while before making my decision to change though.

Maine Sail's beautiful mounting option that I'm considering...
Chart Plotter Mount For Edson Pedestals
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

Stu Jackson

Russ' mounting option clearly shows that he maintained access to the top of the binnacle handrail (by raising the rail, or however he did it).

I repeat that maintaining access to that handrail is absolutely necessary for your safety in the cockpit.  I have seen altogether too many installations using, for example, the fixed rail mounts, that cover the top of the handrail.  It is dangerous to NOT be able to grab that rail.  Unless, of course, you only stay at the dock.  :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Sailing48N

Yup, I agree that you would still want a good handhold accessible! That was one of the reasons I went with the articulating adjustable mount. Many mounting options with that mount in various configurations. I'm just not happy with any of them that I've tried yet. With the chartplotter directly on top of the pedestal I think it blocks too much forward view while sitting down. With the chartplotter on the side makes walking past difficult. That's why I'm thinking about Maine Sail's approach. I do have a 9" display so it takes up a little more horizontal space than the Garmin 741.

The "fixed rail mount" I mentioned does somewhat limit the handhold, however, it does not completely block access. With the articulating adjustable mount I'm able to get the chartplotter pretty much in the same location as the fixed rail mount. I could still easily grab the guard rail on either side. This picture I found online shows this to some degree.
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

Noah

Top mounting on the guard looks like a bad way to go. Bad handhold and a potential for damage/injury.
See my set-up in thread below. Another way to go
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8542.msg60294.html#msg60294

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

Noah definitely has the gold standard instrumentation layout in my opinion.  Mine is less ideal (and less expensive) but very workable for me.
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8186.msg57349.html#msg57349.
See reply 19.  I can swivel the display to see it while seated behind or in front of the wheel on the stbd side.  When I'm sitting on the port coming, the view is partially obstructed but this is a good tradeoff for me.
I agree with Noah that mounting the display on top of the pedestal guard is not ideal.  One of my friends has a beautiful new Raymarine chart plotter mounted on top of his pedestal guard and every time I visit his boat, my natural tendency is to reach for the top of the guard when entering the cockpit.  I haven't broken his mount yet and I hope to keep it that way!  :|
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

kurt

Similar to Scanstrut, I've used Ram Mounts successfully.  I have one ball mount by instrument panel (w wiring) and one at pedestal (w wiring routed up pedestal tube and out of bottom instruments) and a holder for a Garman charplotter.  So typically, I just leave the device connected inside at the instrument table unless I need above deck navigation (rarely) in which case I bring above and connect to the ball/wiring at the pedestal.   I also have a ram mount for ipad & iphone near instrument table (that wifis into my VHF/autopilot.) 

http://www.rammount.com/device/gpsboat/garmin?cascade[model]=GPSMAP+741#wizard

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-404U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-231U

Kurt

Jon W

Kurt beat me to it, but an alternative to a permanent install at the helm is to have your chart plotter mounted at the Nav Station, and use a tablet or Ipad/laptop for the cockpit. When cruising with an autopilot you most likely won't be at the wheel that often (which is why people want to be able to rotate it), and plotting your course in the cabin out of the elements should be more comfortable.

I have a Samsung 10.1" tablet as a portable chartplotter that I connect via WIFI to the Nav station. I'm using RAM mounts at the helm and under the dodger. Battery life needs to be watched, so am thinking of adding a cockpit 12V outlet to address this.

So far this setup has worked out fine. The photos I've attached don't due the tablet visiblity justice, but in bright So Cal sun I can see the tablet display clearly whether at the helm position or under the dodger position.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca