Compression Test

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/3070/air-filter-waluminum-honeycomb-universal-diesel.cfm

This is what I have, I didn't get it from CD but from the local Universal dealer, many, many years ago.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Stu,

OK, I think we are zeroing in here. So you basically, replaced the old round  coffee can filter that used mesh and a foam pre-filter, with a new round coffee can filter that uses mash and a foam pre-filter?

Simply because you wanted a new one?, Or because you wanted the aluminum rather than steel?  Or because you didn't know where to get the mesh and foam separately?

I've been looking for a filter element that fits inside the coffee can to do away with the mash   I've come close but not quite the right dimension.

I was confused because I would consider that a vertical filter because it sits on a vertical throat. The filter on the XPB I would call the horizontal filter because it sits on a horizontal throat. toMATo or toMAto. I don't know if there's a "standard" nomenclature.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Potato!!! :shock:

My old filter was just a can, no foam.  Horizontal because it sits flat on the hole which is vertical; we differ on definitions.

I don't have a digital picture of the old one because I replaced it before they invented digital cameras.   :D

I don't have a digital picture of my newer one installed on the boat that I could easily find, so I posted the link which shows what I do have.

This link to TOAD shows BOTH, although I don't recall the side opening on my old one, but then, to beat a dead horse, it was so long ago.

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?owner=mdd&page_ident=200142-15&model=M-25 / M-25XP / M-25XPA&manufacturer=Universal&title=Inlet Manifold Group and Exhaust Manifold&quant_position=&catalog=200142&printparts=200142&printservice=200151&printoperators=200157&comment1=Part reference number 8 can be replaced with part reference number 17. This is reported to provide some noise reduction.

Sorry, TOAD's URL link doesn't work.  Go to the M25 Inlet Manifold Group to see.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Some say potatoE.  Then they go away and are forever forgotten.

Stu,
Is below your OEM?  Well not "Stu Jackson's," because it was another Catalina owner's (and is now mine) and was from a newer engine than Stu's.

But (with the internal screen and squiggleies removed) it had a perforated, rather than honeycomb shell?  That's how my 1984 M25 OEM filter is -- (a denser) foam was OEM but probably long missing from your '86 as it eventually was on my '84.

A little Tuesday evening engine trivia/and warning for anyone with the above type coffee can:
There's two styles/constructions.  Above has a clearly recognized, 1-piece stamped bottom and throat. 

The other construction was a clearly recognized, 2-piece bottom and throat (below.)  You can see the ridge outside and inside, the peined-over tabs holding the two parts together.

If any owners have the 2-piece, inspect the guts.  Make sure the tabs are tight and secure -- they loosen with engine vibration and the two parts rattle loose and can become dangerous (stressed tabs can break off and enter the throat.)
Pien-over the tabs to make them tight and/or replace it if it's too badly worn.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ken Juul

I hate cleaning foam filters.  When mine get dirty just make a new one.  cut a new piece of foam with an overlap and hot glue gun together.  Or if you but joint I always add a couple of whipping twine stitches to help hold it together.   I had always thought the inside was steel mesh as a fire arrester as well as a filter.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Ken,

No flame arrester is necessary on a diesel-it's nonexplosive and no fuel air vapor  as with a carbureted engine   

Another option I've seen people do, is wrap and overlap foam, and hold it in place with two zip ties. Easy Peazy.

kk

mark_53

Quote from: Ken Juul on May 24, 2017, 06:29:16 AM
I hate cleaning foam filters.  When mine get dirty just make a new one.  cut a new piece of foam with an overlap and hot glue gun together.  Or if you but joint I always add a couple of whipping twine stitches to help hold it together.   I had always thought the inside was steel mesh as a fire arrester as well as a filter.

Was the new foam the same density?  If to dense, you may end up with black smoke.

KWKloeber

Was the new foam the same density?  If to dense, you may end up with black smoke.

FYI the OEM silencer was what you would typically think as "foam rubber", thinner than the wide open, black "expanded" wrap I pictured below earlier (I wouldn't really call it "foam" pe se.) Neither are a filter, but a silencer on the air intake.

Paulus

Since we have wandered into the field of filters.  Does anyone ever clean the filter in the blow back system?  My filter is inside the valve cover. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on May 25, 2017, 05:31:48 AM
Since we have wandered into the field of filters.  Does anyone ever clean the filter in the blow back system?  My filter is inside the valve cover. 
Paul

Presumably your breather hose is led to the air intake?
I have often thought about just removing the filter since everything is getting sucked back in anyway.

Footloose

I replaced mine with a K&N and did away with all of this.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stu Jackson

Answers to Ken's earlier questions:

KWKloeber

Thank you Stu,

An M 25 with the fuel bleed knob --  presume that you replaced the bleed screw with the knob?

kk

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 20, 2017, 05:29:32 PM
Thank you Stu,

An M 25 with the fuel bleed knob --  presume that you replaced the bleed screw with the knob?

My wonderful little putt-putt came that way (unless the PO did it, but I doubt it).  That's how I knew when I read the original 1987 Mainsheet articles what they meant by "knurled knob."  I was an engineer, so I knew what knurled was, the knob was harder to figure out. :D

KWKloeber

Learn something new every day.

I thought the change was made only on the XP.

It must be late model M 25s already made the switch to the knob. Hard to tell by the photo, but it looks like it's just a port (Just like the screw bleed), not daisychained to the banjos.