Midship Spring Approach Question

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I've read and appreciate all I could find on the topic.

I've tried the mid-ship spring in my slip and am amazed at how well it positions the boat given the cross current and wind of that day.

All that said, I'm still nervous as a cat when it comes to actually trying it.  I share a well with another boat.  I am up-current and typically upwind from the other boat.  There's a honking metal piling between me and him that I'd like to avoid meeting up close.  Fenders on my starboard will no doubt decrease the chances of my damaging his boat but not the chances of a nice scrape on that metal post.

What I'm looking for is a recommendation on how to approach the outboard cleat on the finger pier to my port in such a way that I maximize my changes of getting a loop around it and maximize my bailout options if I don't.

The wind and current on a typical day are mild enough... it's a river so the current is always present but somedays barely noticeable.  The wind isn't always working against me but that's the typical direction.

Thoughts?  Parallel to the slip but line up on the pier and duck inside as the current pushes me by?  45 to slip, get a cleat looped, then straighten out?  90 degrees to slip, get the loop over and then warp in?  The latter seems like overkill but may be necessary until I get my nerve up.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jim Hardesty

Mike,
I have a post at the end of my dock that I hang a spring line on.  Some in my yacht club have modified the spring line idea.  They added a post to the end of the dock and when they approach they drop a line that's attached both to the midship cleat and the aft cleat.  They feel it works better and is easier to use.  Each to there own.  Maybe you could add a hanger to the end of your dock.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

patrice

Hi Mike,

The metal post you describe seams not to fun to have around a boat.  Is it a post for the docks.
Can't the marina put some wood casing around it.
Or if you could attach some type of fenders to it
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

rmbrown

I think I may be misremembering that material... there are large metal posts that the fingers piers ride up and down the but piling the between the boats is almost certainly wood.  Not that I want to grind on it!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

Mike, in this case, if you have them, pictures would be very helpful for us to help you.  Many of us have floating docks, with cleats, which are among (as I have learned) the easiest to "lasso" with a midships spring line, whether you use straight line as I do or NautiDuck's Dock-O-Matic.  If you don't know what that is, go to the singlehanding 101 topics.

There are many solutions folks have used over the years to "pre-arrange" a spring line at their slips, regardless of how cumbersome the slips may be.  I'm working on one in my new slip with bull rails right now.  Haven't' quite finished it up yet, I'm still pondering whether keeping the free end of the bull rail and using it as a cleat like I used to do in California can still work, or whether I should mount something on the pole at the end of my dock finger (which we never had down south).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rmbrown

Google maps view... the boat beside me is now a larger power boat.  This shows current, but not wind.  So far, I've seen wind parallel with the current and wind pushing me into the slip.  There are three cleats on that finger pier, one very close to the end that's in the perfect position.... just a matter of learning how best to approach it.

I haven't yet made the Dock-o-matic version but a doubled up line works like a charm.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

With cleats it seems easier.  You should approach the slip from down current, so the port side of your boat is aimed at the left side (non-pole) side of the slip.  I know it's eaiser said than done, but I'd approach that slip as if the poles didn't exist and deal with the side of the slip as a side tie.  Worst things to do would be to try to come in parallel to the slip or from the up current side.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Mike

Even though the center pilings are wood, look at some kind of condom for them, or at least attaching a flat material (not necessarily a fender) to your side.  Gorilla tape on a swim noodle, whatever.  Even staple-gunning a tyvek sheath on it would be slippery and keep from scratching/marks, although it might be sacrificial over time (UV, weather, etc.)

If you have the wherewithal make a ballistic cloth condom cover (1680 denier ballistic nylon fabric, you can buy online or check a fabric store.) or just tack on a piece.  It's tough as nails, and slick nylon.  don't be too proud LOL, save the boat no matter if you cheat.

Ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain