Boarding Ladder for mid-ship entry on a Mk II?

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck.Philips

Does anyone attach a one or two step boarding ladder to the side of their Catalina 34 MkII for easier side entry from their dingy?

When we are on the hook at Catalina, with the wind coming from astern or from the beam, I often tie my shore boat (a Boston Whaler 130) on the starboard side so it doesn't bang into the stern swim ladder or the back of the boat.  When the Whaler is side-tied and we want to get back onto the sailboat from the dingy or go from the sailboat onto the dingy, I don't have too much problem as I have longer legs than my wife--but she struggles!  When we are pointed into the wind, it's no big deal as I tie the Whaler off the stern and the wind keeps the Whaler off the sailboat and it's easy to board thru the transom; however, when the wind is from the beam or abaft I need to keep the Whaler side tied, fenders keep it off the sailboat; however, I think I need a boarding ladder for my wife and daughter to more easily get them back on the sailboat.

If you use a boarding ladder for this situation, what type of ladder do you have and do you attach it to the toe rail or by some other method? Or, if you have another suggestion for boarding that doesn't include over the swim ladder, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chuck
"Forever Young", #1725
Chuck Philips
"Forever Young"
2005 Catalina 34--#1725--Anniversary Edition

Jim Hardesty

Chuck,
I have a single step boarding ladder.  It's one I bought but it's simple enough some friends have made theirs.  It's a step hung on hooks and line from the toe rail with adjustable bails.  I'll send a picture soon.  I bought it for a previous boat that had more freeboard but still use it a little.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Craig Illman

Chuck - Check out the FenderStep. They have a couple different styles and multiple colors. My C30 doesn't have the open transom. We have a couple short lines, ~ 2 feet, with brass clips on the ends attached to each side of the FenderStep. For dinghy boarding from the side, we attach the clips together and loop the line over the primary winch. For docking, to help my partner mitigate her short legs, we take each line around a stanchion at the shrouds and clip them each to themselves, giving her a step midway between the toerail and our low dock. I'll try to remember to take a picture later today and post when I'm back to my desktop.

Craig

Jim Hardesty

Here are a couple of pictures.  The name is Quick Step  from Doyle Marine Point Richmond,CA  94807
I bought it many years ago don't know if they are still made.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Mark Sutherland

I have same issue with my not-so-tall wife.  We currently use one of those MOB ladders.  I can't recall the manufacturer at the moment, but it comes in a yellow back and we hang it from the gate opening, as in the post shown above.  I always have this ladder attached at the gate (ladder stowed inside the bag) and laying on the side deck when we go off shore, just in case someone goes over.  It's not THE best ladder for what you want, but it's dual purpose and is stows well as it's about the size of a bible.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Craig Illman

Pictures