Engine Hour Gauge Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

My Engine Hour Gauge is no longer working! The Tach works fine. I checked the gauge connections and cleaned them and reinstalled.
Hour meter still does not work. Can this gauge be repaired?
A new Gauge is over $150 so if there are other options let me know!
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

KWKloeber

Toast.

A new tach/HM is $102 - I just put 2 in C-30 panels!
Or
Install a seperate HM in the engine compartment

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Juul

When mine died, I added a new meter just under the alternator on the side wall of the engine comptartment so it is visible through the engine access door in the head.  I don't remember where I bought mine.  Most auto parts stores are in the $50-60 range, Amazon has them for less than $20.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

karista

Quote from: Ken Juul on May 12, 2017, 06:18:54 AM
When mine died, I added a new meter just under the alternator on the side wall of the engine comptartment so it is visible through the engine access door in the head.  I don't remember where I bought mine.  Most auto parts stores are in the $50-60 range, Amazon has them for less than $20.

Ken
Did you install the meter so it could be seen on the outside engine wall in the head? I don't understand how the meter could be installed on the inside wall and be seen thru the small access door. Did you connect it back to the ignition switch or did you find a more convenient closer connection point?
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

KWKloeber

You didn't indicate which engine you have but I presume it may be an M 25 or XP?
If it has the original Motorola alternator set up, there's two wires that are run to the engine compartment that are redundant. The fuel pump power, and the alternator field excite (purple wire) to the alternator. You can pick up power off the alternator field excite post  which is typically goes into a Packard 56 connector on a yellow wire off the alternator. You can butt crimp a splice in there to pick up power for the hour meter.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain