Starting with house vs start battery

Previous topic - Next topic

mainesail

Quote from: SPembleton on May 08, 2017, 04:02:24 AM
What is the problem with using the house batteries for starting and general usage, and keeping the remaining battery just as a backup if needed?

If you have a 1/2/B switch there is nothing wrong with that and it will lead to less human induced errors... if you are trying to avoid brown outs, that is more complex, can happen regardless of which bank of a 1/2/B switch you start off and may have numerous causes. To keep it simple start the motor then boot instruments. If you want a more complex solution those exist too.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

mark_53

Quote from: mainesail on May 08, 2017, 04:04:53 PM
Quote from: SPembleton on May 08, 2017, 04:02:24 AM
What is the problem with using the house batteries for starting and general usage, and keeping the remaining battery just as a backup if needed?

To keep it simple start the motor then boot instruments. If you want a more complex solution those exist too.

So when your under sail using instruments and you need to restart the engine, you lose your instruments?  Not an optimal solution. Tell him about start isolation.

mainesail

There is only start isolation if you have a dedicated start battery on its own circuit.  SI does not apply to a 1/2/B which, by his description, he seems to have..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

SPembleton

Mark, that is NOT the situation.  I start the engine, instruments work fine. After i am out to the big lske, i shut off the engine, instruments still work.  I try to remember to switch from start to house.  Instruments still work.  After a few hours sailing, voltage drops to 10.8v and the gWind bluetooth sensor stops working.  I usually continuing sailing.  After a while i return to port, i try to remember to switch back to my stsrt battery, start my engines and the gWind starts working again.

I have replcaced all 3 batteries.  I am now going to test to see if the voltage drop has anything to do with which battery i use to start the engine.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

mark_53

Quote from: mainesail on May 08, 2017, 05:37:02 PM
There is only start isolation if you have a dedicated start battery on its own circuit.  SI does not apply to a 1/2/B which he has...

I believe that's what he says he has, "2 house batteries and 1 start battery".  and his instruments are crapping out when using the house bank to start.

mainesail

Quote from: SPembleton on May 08, 2017, 05:43:28 PM
Mark, that is NOT the situation.  I start the engine, instruments work fine. After i am out to the big lske, i shut off the engine, instruments still work.  I try to remember to switch from start to house.  Instruments still work.  After a few hours sailing, voltage drops to 10.8v and the gWind bluetooth sensor stops working.  I usually continuing sailing.  After a while i return to port, i try to remember to switch back to my stsrt battery, start my engines and the gWind starts working again.

I have replcaced all 3 batteries.  I am now going to test to see if the voltage drop has anything to do with which battery i use to start the engine.

Your house bank is toast or you have a bad or loose connection or grossly undersized wire.Your batteries should only briefly drop below 12.1V under short duration high current loads otherwise you should never see them drop below 12.1V and especially not under just sailing instruments after a few hour sail... you need to measure the actual battery voltage at the terminals when you are seeing 10.8V.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

mark_53

Quote from: SPembleton on May 08, 2017, 05:43:28 PM

Okay, I see.  The house cable run to start is probably longer than the start battery's. I don't understand why your switching from start to house all the time. 
You may be wired differently then me but my start battery starts the engine regardless of where the 1-2-B switch is set.

mainesail

Quote from: mark_53 on May 08, 2017, 06:06:55 PM

my start battery starts the engine regardless of where the 1-2-B switch is set.

If that is your only battery switch it should not behave like that...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

mark_53

Quote from: mainesail on May 08, 2017, 06:13:17 PM
Quote from: mark_53 on May 08, 2017, 06:06:55 PM

my start battery starts the engine regardless of where the 1-2-B switch is set.

If that is your only battery switch it should not behave like that...

There is a separate battery switch.

Jon W

For what it's worth -- I have a 4 x T105 house and 1 650 CCA as a "reserve". The house is on position 1 and the "reserve" is on position 2 of the 1-2-B selector switch. I can start on position 1, 2 or B and the instruments, chart plotter, radar, and network continue to function as intended. The only time I had an issue after starting is when I switched from position 2 to position 1 by going through the "OFF" position. Operator error not system error.

Energy consumption-- After a full day sailing with instruments and chart plotter on, fridge, plus starting the engine twice, my Smartgauge reads ~98% charge for the house bank.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon

Are you saying you blew the diodes going through "off"?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

J_Sail

I'm pretty sure he was saying that by inadvertently going thru OFF he briefly lost power to his instruments, etc (as expected).

I have previously looked at his wiring diagram and his alternator goes directly to his house bank, so going thru OFF wouldn't impact his alternator.

Jon W

Jeremy has it correct. The AO connects to the house bank. The 1-2-B switch only chooses which bank is being used. By accidentally rotating the switch through "OFF" I shut the power off. Duh. I should have rotated through "B".
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Gotcha! DUH! Thanks for the  clarification Jon and Jeremy,

Of course that episode speaks to what RC says with a set up like Steve has. (Paraphrased) "Just leave your selector on the house bank and avoid the well intended (insert brother-in-law, guest, etc. as appropriate) human intervention that can blow your alternator diodes."

Quote from: Jon W on May 09, 2017, 08:08:00 AM
Jeremy has it correct. The AO connects to the house bank. The 1-2-B switch only chooses which bank is being used. By accidentally rotating the switch through "OFF" I shut the power off. Duh. I should have rotated through "B".
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain