removing 4200/handrail

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

thanks. J_Sail.  i'll have to dig out the bungs and remove the handrail.  i had bought 2 rolls of butyl from the author a while ago.  and i made a mess of the 4200 before.  will be nice to clean it all off
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

mark_53

4200 says it's removable so be very careful to not pull on the grabrrail too hard...it wil break. I would use a stiff putty knife and a heat gun on low setting. Maybe a hairdryer to soften the 4200. Do not pull on the grabrail until all contact points have been freed. And don't use 4200 to re-seal.  Use bedding material. Someone mentioned O-rings have worked for them over the years.

anaisdog

i'll use butyl for rebedding

KWKloeber

Becki Would you need to de-bung, or can you just loosen the thru bolts from below?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

IMO, it would be unlikely that the rails would be able to be properly removed and reinstalled without accessing the heads under the wood plugs.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mark_53

Quote from: Noah on May 06, 2017, 11:48:18 AM
IMO, it would be unlikely that the rails would be able to be properly removed and reinstalled without accessing the heads under the wood plugs.

Maybe not but certainly worth trying.  The tricky part would be getting them off without breaking them.  Good news is you buy new ones from CD for $500.

KWKloeber

The key is getting the bolts to not turn (mine were carriage bolts.  One was slipping but was lucky to get the nut loose enough so that I didn't need to de-bung.

If a bolt slips and there's enough length you can double nut the end to hold it while de-nutting. Or if not enough length, put one jan nut on the end. Apply a very tight vice grip on it and it will hold the bolt enough to loosen the holding nut.

Luckily I could get both tails off and on w/o any de-bunging.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

had to debung them.  the people helping me had a few pieces to replace them with but not enough.  and yes, we rebed with butyl but we used both butyl and 4200 for the side stay.  the tape kept pulling out when we were screwing in the sidestay.