Split backstay reinstallation on mast

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

Mast is painted, rewired, rerigged and very nearly ready to raise, but I'm not certain which way to orient my split backstay when I put it back.  This was one photo I failed to take, unfortunately.

At the top, it's pretty binary... there's either orientation A or orientation B.  Further down, I have the split, with all cotter pins on one side.  Should they be facing forward or aft?  I'm guessing that doesn't matter much but the cleat on the backstay matters and should be facing the cockpit?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Mike

Not specific to your BS, but I feel it's always best to have the business end of all pins facing me so they are easiest to inspect or notice if I lose a cotter or ring. There may be a counter argument to that-- but...

That's my story and I'm sticking toit.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Juul

agree cotter pins facing forward.  Even if you lose one, gravity will help hold the pin in place.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

rmbrown

Hey... whattaya mean my BS?  My feelings are hurt! ;>)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

LOL!!!  That one slipped right by me.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

patrice

Hi,

As mention by Ken, in this situation, cotter pin facing forward.
With the incline of the backstay, if by any reason the cotter fall off, the pin itself would remain in position.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Mike : I tend to favor rings and Like the two Kens said - have them facing FWD so you can easily see them. 
The rings are a bit harder to install, but don't leave a sharp edge to catch anything on.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Good logic on the cotter pins/rings... but the PO may not have assembled with that in mind.  I may correct once I determine the necessary orientation.  I think that just leaves me the backstay mounted cleat, either it's orientation or the branch of the split that it's on.  Any thoughts there?  Or maybe the orientation of the car that rides the split?

All I have at this point is that the cleat on the flag halyardshould almost certainly face the cockpit for easy access?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rmbrown on May 02, 2017, 01:49:30 PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I think that just leaves me the backstay mounted cleat, either it's orientation or the branch of the split that it's on.  Any thoughts there?  Or maybe the orientation of the car that rides the split?

All I have at this point is that the cleat on the flag halyard should almost certainly face the cockpit for easy access?
Mike,

Here are some pictures of my backstay and diagrams of backstays that I got from former Commodore Dave Davis many years ago.  I have the Garhauer split with their vang to starboard.

Please note that my backstay splitter is different than the one in the diagram.

Flag halyard?  Is it on the backstay?

The one thing I would change on my split backstay:  put two turnbuckles where they meet the transom instead of one up above the split.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: rmbrown on May 02, 2017, 01:49:30 PM
Good logic on the cotter pins/rings... but the PO may not have assembled with that in mind.  I may correct once I determine the necessary orientation.  I think that just leaves me the backstay mounted cleat, either it's orientation or the branch of the split that it's on.  Any thoughts there?  Or maybe the orientation of the car that rides the split?

All I have at this point is that the cleat on the flag halyardshould almost certainly face the cockpit for easy access?

Mike

There's no magic as to whether the backstab adjuster cam cleat is on the port or stbd split.  The original orientation on the 30 was in the center of the transom!  Can you say "inconvenient"?  Later yrs moved the cleat to one of the split, which I modded and I have it on a swivel so I could actually easily have it P or S. When it was in the middle I put a snap hook on it so I could easily move it aside to go for a swim.

Simply put it where it's most natural for you and just orient the cleat accordingly.

Ken

Noah

Let's clarify FYI for new boatowners. I believe the standard OEM Catalina backstay arrangement is not "adjustable", it is a fixed split. Stu's and others pictured are aftermarket "upgrades". Correct?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on May 02, 2017, 08:16:46 PM
Let's clarify FYI for new boatowners. I believe the standard OEM Catalina backstay arrangement is not "adjustable", it is a fixed split. Stu's and others pictured are aftermarket "upgrades". Correct?

Correct.  The OEM backstay was fixed.  Unfortunately, the split was relatively (extremely, unnecessarily, weirdly?!?) low and was a head banger in two respects:  1)  when coming up the swim ladder; 2) when standing behind the wheel (it'd grab your shoulders and not let go!!!).

Because of the latter, primarily, many skippers were reporting not only installing adjustables, but significantly RAISING the point of the split to avoid #2.  Some just raised the split and were quite happy.

That's what prompted the sketch I posted earlier from Dave Davis. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

My fixed split was apparently raised(?)  by a PO, and when I replaced all standing rigging I kept it the same height. This is a pic of my 6ft. tall friend at the helm for reference. It works well on my boat. If I was going to race (not likely anymore) I would consider a backstay adjuster.
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on May 02, 2017, 08:16:46 PM

Noah

On the C30, the backstay was fixed as well, and the adjuster was a factory option.
Is there a reason to believe that at least some of the adjusters out there didn't come straight from the factory? 

If I see close up pictures of an adjuster I can tell whether the particular one is or is not factory issue by what parts are on it.

kk

Noah

Could be a factory option, I don't know. It wasn't the early boat's options price list that I have seen.
Standard Rig