Running Rigging Routing

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

Say that three times fast!

I took my mast down to replace the conduit, ended up rewiring and painting, and now I'm putting it back together.

I have photos of how the lines routed in the mast head, the mast base blocks and the turning blocks to the cockpit.  I have photos of how the lines are routed now (mast assembled but not yet raised so there's room for corrections).  I even have the manual drawings that show how they should have been at delivery.

Anyone surprised that none of the three are the same?

First question...  Do most follow the manual's routing or have there been changes that the fleet has adopted over the years?

I was shocked to find that, according to the manual, the main halyard exits the mast aft starboard but uses the aft port sheave at the mast head.  What I'm seeing is that the lines over both aft sheaves are led starboard, with the main using the aft of the two blocks at the mast base and the outboard turning block in the starboard organizer, with the topping lift also exiting starboard and cleating to the mast, so I'm guessing that having lines changing sides inside the mast is normal.

The forward block at the mast base... that's for a spinnaker halyard if I had one rigged?

Both jib sheets lead to port and both head back to the cockpit on the port side?   Where do folks attach the end of the unused second jib halyard to keep it out of the way but to prevent slapping of the mast?

PO had boom vang using one of the three organizer blocks on port instead of the reef line but I'll switch that back.

Any words of wisdom?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rmbrown on April 25, 2017, 04:03:24 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was shocked to find >>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Both jib sheets lead to port and both head back to the cockpit on the port side?   Where do folks attach the end of the unused second jib halyard to keep it out of the way but to prevent slapping of the mast?

PO had boom vang using one of the three organizer blocks on port instead of the reef line but I'll switch that back.

Shocked?!?   :shock: :shock: :shock:  Aw, thought you'd been around us long enough... :D :D :D

I have two jib halyards: active & spare.  BOTH are tied off at the mast.  With roller furling I see no need to run the active halyard back.  I tension the jib luff with a thin high strength line at the tack.  My PO had it run back, but I replaced it with a cunningham.

Many folks have made mods to their deck organizers, too.  I have a double stacked organizer on each side.  I have double line reefing with two reef points.  The variations are endless.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

"Both jib sheets lead to port and both head back to the cockpit on the port side? "

Uum, I'd love to see you sailing on port tack with out a starboard sheet! ;) I'm guessing that's meant to be "jib halyards"?

Yes, our two jib halyards run aft on the port side and the main halyard and topping lift on the starboard side. It easier when doing sail changes, raising and lowering them.

The spare jib halyard (ours is the starboard one) gets tied back to the cabin top handrail on the starboard side. Sometimes we tie it off forward of the forestay on the big pulpit.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

rmbrown

Doh!  Halyards indeed... And I know better!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ed Shankle

I attach the spare jib halyard to a small cleat clamped on the forward shroud, port side. Doesn't matter which side, of course.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA