Water Heater Leak

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Tom,

The low RPM seems would be a different issue than the temp.  It continues to act like 1) you have a 2" Hx or 2) air.  1) points to a blockage somewhere.  2) -- well self-explanatory.  But air in the WH loop wouldn't affect the Hx cooling unless a slug got to the pump impeller and it lost prime due to spinning in air and not coolant.  Again, the symptoms are exactly the same as the XP I just had that had a coolant pump air lock.

Crazy question for the PNW I suppose, but any huge change in seawater temp?

Is the return hose from the Hx to the coolant pump warm? cold?  HOT?
Is the short Tstst to the exh manifold hose HOT?  Cool?
Is the manifold to HX hose HOT?  Cool?
Is the hose to or from your vented loop HOT?  or cool?  Good flow? You could suck from a 5 gal bucket to determine the Ob pumping rate in gpm.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ed Shankle

Hawk,
I was thinking prop as well after your last post. Time to get the wet suit on I guess. Any darker smoke in the exhaust when in gear?
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Hawk

Ed, no dark smoke, looks normal at idle and at 2200 in gear.

Ken, I ran the engine at 2700 in neutral after I was testing in gear when I could only get 2200 in gear. The darn temp started dropping once in neutral at the higher rpms and got to about 165 and happily stayed there for 15 mins.

Something is not right. Am I correct that if I had an air lock or some blockage it would cause the temp to go up in neutral as well as in gear?

I have to rule out any prop wrap but not sure how that could have happened.

Thanks again guys.
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

KWKloeber

Quote from: Hawk on June 25, 2018, 06:57:47 PM

Something is not right. Am I correct that if I had an airlock or some blockage it would cause the temp to go up in neutral as well as in gear?

I have to rule out any prop wrap but not sure how that could have happened.

Tom

there's not necessarily a yes/no answer to that.  A diesel will throw more heat when under load.  More work, more energy used and ipso, more heat generated and so more to be removed thru the Hx.  It's "a law" Tom.  But that said, a prop cutting thru water isn't like a diesel truck huffing it up a hill. 

So it's not absolute, it's a matter of "degrees" :roll:

If you were JUST borderline balanced on heat input to the Hx and heat removed, then in gear it could throw it over the top.  A wrap would defo use more energy input, so more heat output.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Hawk

Thanks Ken, Just to wrap up the outcome I decided that the new water heater replacement was unlikely to be the source of my low rpm and over heat issues. Since the HX and exhaust elbow/riser were potential suspects AND they were likely much more than 10 years old I ordered new one of each from Catalina Direct and shipped to my shipping box in Pt. Roberts Washington. I knew I was going to get banged up with the CDN 30% exchange rate and them 12% CDN tax. But when the CDN border officer said, `You heard about the new countervailing surcharge duties....ugh no.

Add another 25% on top for importing US steel....and while you fork over even more $ we`re supposed to say, Take that Trump!

Anyway, with a friend we installed the new HX and the new ss riser. I put a new flange on as well and the fancy insulating jacket that one must purchase. Frankly the old elbow and riser looked fine but given its age and Stu`s 12 yr replacement I am avoiding a big problem if it broke when underway. Stu`s tech notes were very useful.

Then I was away sailing in Italy on a friends boat so only just this week took the boat out for a test. I thought that if the low rpm under power issue persisted then I was looking at rebuilding the injector pump which is well described by Ron in a tech note. But happily all is just fine...good power at 2500rpm and steady at 165 degrees temp. The problem may have been the HX and perhaps involving the riser.
I`m sailing over the Gulf Islands finally on Monday. Thanks for everyone`s help over the last few months!

Hawk

KWKloeber

Hawk

Super that the new parts appear to have fixed your issues!!

It's tough to pay thru the nose once you already pay over priced CD.

"We" say America is a work in progress experiment. I remember from science class, not all portions of an experiment turn out to be successful. But hopefully the lessons get learned and the failures are not repeated. <smile>

-k

Hawk

I hear you Ken. Just for good measure I have appealed the 25% countervailing duty surcharge on the US steel HX and Riser. May as well make them work for it.

Ground # 1..."It's already too expensive!"

Hawk

KWKloeber

Hawk,

Good luck with that one exclamation exclamation

My prediction is that next season it won't be around anymore.
(At least that's the way things are looking, downhill slide, beginning of the end as it were.)

-k

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hawk on August 25, 2018, 03:09:15 PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I`m sailing over the Gulf Islands finally on Monday. Thanks for everyone`s help over the last few months!

Hawk

If you'e coming anywhere near Maple Bay, please let me know.  Would be fun to finally meet you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hawk

Hey Stu,

We got as far as Telegraph Harbour but only a short 3 day and back to Vancouver. I've actually never been to Maple Bay but we'll try and make it happen.

Tom