Furlex headsail track?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

When we bought our boat she was on the hard with the mast down. The boatyard had lashed the furling track to the mast but left the drum unsupported which of course bent the track. There is a kink in the track making it impossible to raise the headsail using the starboard side of the track, we were able to raise it using the port side but it's tight. Also when furling the headsail there is a bit of a wobble in the track. I can't seem to find a replacement and thought that the collective wisdom here might have an idea where to find it.

Oh and the boatyard claims no responsibility and said that if the PO wanted it supported he should have built a support for it.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber

K-

Pics? How bad is it?
On the cheap, using some YI could at least the one slot be upended enough to use?  The foil straightened any? 
On the expensive, have you talked with Selden in SC or a MI distributor?

-K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

K-

Based on the pic, IIWMF  I believe I'd try straightening it. There's no kink per se, just a gentle bend.  At least, I did try to open the one slot a little where it's collapsed.

-K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Mas Tequila

After I posted the picture I couldn't see it so I deleted it...let's try that again.

Ken the picture really doesn't show how badly it's bent but we did sail it last year without any real problems. I would say the biggest issue is when we furl the headsail there is quite a bit of wobble which makes it difficult to furl without having to head up even in light winds. I was hoping to just replace that section of the foil but we could live with if we have to.

I called Selden in NC and was ran through their voice mail system and haven't received a return call. Also contacted Torresen Marine in Muskegon because Selden shows they are a dealer but Torresen says they are not. They have given me a few leads in Michigan but nothing has panned out yet.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber

K-

I saw the pic from the photo bucket link. I can see it's a bend luckily rather than a kink.
I believe with a whole Lotta love, and a little persuasion  that could be straightened. Or as I said just open up the track a little, but I wouldn't want to put up with the wobble.

-k

Mas Tequila

I did get a dealer to call me back and parts are not going to be a problem. The repair work however is going to be pricey so we are going to have to live with it for another year.

I seem to be photo impaired but here is an example why we no longer deal with this boatyard.

=18873490&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]http://s73.photobucket.com/user/Cemaya/media/20160902_130445%202.jpg.html?filters[user]=18873490&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber

K-

That's rude looking!

One my favorite mother-in-law's "Faye-isms" is.... "Just because they do it for a living, doesn't mean they know what they're good doing or are good at it."  My corollary is, "just because they have their name on the side of a pickup truck... "

-K

Paulus

Mas Tequila,
Was this foil used with the continuous line furling system and was the drum replaced by a single line drum by the PO??  Could not tell from the pic. Let me know as I replaced my original furling system with a totally new system and gave the foils to my son who was going to use those for a project but changed his mind.  He may still have those.  Let me know.
Paul
PS:  Will email you about the North Channel or call and hope to see you in Frankfort.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Mas Tequila

Paulus,

I honestly don't know the history of the furler and neither does the PO as it was set up before he bought her. It is currently a single line system and other than the bend in the foil it works pretty well. I wouldn't consider replacing the foil except the furler has wobble in it when furling the headsail which isn't a big deal except that we have to head up even in light winds to furl the headsail.

Here is a picture of the drum and I'm sorry about the photobucket links for some reason I seem to be photo impaired.

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/Cemaya/media/20161106_102109.jpg.html?filters[user]=18873490&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

If you have the bottom foil section that would be great just let me know how much you want for it.

Our spring upgrades and maintenance are behind schedule due to some family issues and a unwelcome health surprise for me but I'm getting back on my feet. Our "have to" list should be finished but our "want to" list my be on the back burner for a little bit. We are still going to make the North Channel but might not be as pretty as we hoped. We are planning on splashing her mid-month if the weather holds out.

Please do drop me a line and we will have to enjoy a few brews at Stormcloud Brewery. Oh and it looks like Leland marina will be open.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Paulus

Mas Tequila
If you look on the for sale page you will see a 915 Hood Furling for sale.  If this is the type of foil you need let me know and I will contact my son to see if he still has those parts.  Would  be glad to get those for you at no charge.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ed Shankle

Your furler wobble could also be impacted by the forestay tensioning, or lack of. If you haven't already, check the tension after the hull has regained it's in water shape.

regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Mas Tequila

Paulus,

I did take a look at the foil on the 915 Hood Furling and that is not what we have. Thank you so much for your offer though.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI