Mast stopper coming out

Previous topic - Next topic

saltygirl

The mast stopper that holds up the sail slides in our mast keeps coming out.  We have bought a new one and even tried loctight on it.  It comes out when we lower the main or reef our sail.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  We have a 1998 34 mk
Celeste and Greg Ray

Noah

Not sure what kind of "stopper" you have, but IMO ditch it and drill/tap a 3/8 round head SS bolt into the track and use Tefgel or Lanacoat on it so you CAN remove it when you need to remove the slides.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

salty : Take your threaded "mast stopper" and get a stainless bolt one size larger and screw it into the stripped threads in that hole!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

or consider making this modification to bring your slides down to the boom:  http://www.mastgates.com/

Craig

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Craig Illman on April 10, 2017, 05:03:01 PM
or consider making this modification to bring your slides down to the boom:  http://www.mastgates.com/

Craig

I'll second that.   :thumb:  I got a fixed mastgate for my Gloucester 19 (The slot on a small boat consumes more relative slide space so they're even more important on a smaller boat).  Took a little bit of filing and grinding to get the fit just right, but I couldn't be happier with it.  My mainsail cover fits better and reefing is easier.   :D
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Unless you have jack lines on the bottom of the luff of your main sail, you will not get a good reef with either a single or double line reefing system unless you use a mast gate.  Best thing developed for those with tracks and slugs.

Even with a rams horn for the luff, the install slot is too high for the single reef luff point unless your first reef is really deep.

Get a mast gate.  You'll love it.  Makes slugs "almost" like having  real track system!!! :clap :clap :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

saltygirl

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I have contacted mastgate.  :-)  hopefully I won't be scrabbling on the deck to retrieve the mast stopper soon!!
Celeste and Greg Ray

Noah

Stu alluded to a track system "almost as good as track system". My Tides Strong system works very well and allows slides to come almost all the way down to the boom. However, it is considerably more bucks than a Mast Gate, but also solves the mast groove friction issue--which is a big benefit for me.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig