Emergency Starting Process

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 06, 2017, 07:41:50 AM
Quote from: britinusa on April 06, 2017, 04:29:12 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>

Now, back to the question. Can the engine be started with a pull cord?

Great story, Paul.

Please go back to reply #1.   :D :D :D

I read and agree with reply #1 even though it does not answer the question, but it makes a lot of sense that I totally agree with.

I guess the answer is - try it and see. So I will :D

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on April 06, 2017, 12:46:39 PM

Paul

Videos. Paul.  We want raw, uncut, unrehearsed videos of this.  And don't get caught on the belt while trying to release the decompression lever. :shock: :shock: :shock:  Or get the rip cord caught on the belt once (if) she starts.  That could get ugly.

How about a socket on the crankshaft spline (attached to so it wont fly free) , and an overriding clutch brazed to a speed handle?  or the clutch brazed to the socket?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Just testing photo upload... :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteHow about some big viking-style oars?!

Good luck finding a crew to do that.  If you did the beer cost would be high.  Think beers per mile.  For me the best emergency plan is BOAT U/S towing insurance. That is if sailing is not an option.  I know that won't work for all.  I just wanted to mention.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

britinusa

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 06, 2017, 10:56:12 PM
Quote from: britinusa on April 06, 2017, 12:46:39 PM

Paul

Videos. Paul.  We want raw, uncut, unrehearsed videos of this.  And don't get caught on the belt while trying to release the decompression lever. :shock: :shock: :shock:  Or get the rip cord caught on the belt once (if) she starts.  That could get ugly.

How about a socket on the crankshaft spline (attached to so it wont fly free) , and an overriding clutch brazed to a speed handle?  or the clutch brazed to the socket?

k

Going down to the boat this afternoon to pull the fuel tank, so no chance to try it today. Plan is to get the tank back in on Monday/Tuesday, hope to get the chance then.

BTW! Peggy (my wife) is a Registered Cardiac Care Nurse - Hope I don't need her services while attempting this. But nice to have her on hand.

8)
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Going down to the boat this afternoon to pull the fuel tank, so no chance to try it today. Plan is to get the tank back in on Monday/Tuesday, hope to get the chance then.

BTW! Peggy (my wife) is a Registered Cardiac Care Nurse - Hope I don't need her services while attempting this. But nice to have her on hand.

8)

Paul

Thinking this thru just for fun, I'm wondering how many wraps you can get on there, and how that relates to getting at least ONE cyl into compression/firing.  The idea w/ the compression release, is to get a good "free wheeling" RPMs up before releasing.  I don't think you could get enough wraps to accomplish that.  Opposed to the starter, which is geared low (huge flywheel, small pinion) to overcome the cylinder compression, the decompression routing works because there's rpms built up.

I'm thinking..... Rube Goldberg here.  Bolt a gear to the face of the crank pulley.  Then a pinion gear chucked into you drill.  No problem with something not releasing, or a flying socket, or tangled rip cord.  Playing with the sizes of both gears would get a good RPM to kick 'er off.  If it were helical gears, would they tend to separate as engine RPMs took over?

OR, a pulley in the drill chuck, and use the front engine belt along w/ the decompression lever?  Before emergency starting, I think I'd change the front one to a bottom cog belt and use a cogged pulley on the drill, just to help it along.

Starter fluid IS NOT an option!!!

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Alternative: have Peggy swim behind, kicking like hell pushing--then you pop the clutch! :rolling
Standard Rig

britinusa

I figured out this much.

If using the pull concept, then realistically I could pull about 24" max

The unused pulley on the Crank shaft is about 2.5" internal diameter (guessing)

Circumference 2πR or πD =~ 8" per wrap, so about 3 wraps in a single pull.

If a single pull takes about 1/2 second that's 6rps or 360rpm

Anyone know what the starting rpm is with the throttle at minimum?

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on April 08, 2017, 03:20:29 PM

Anyone know what the starting rpm is with the throttle at minimum?

Nice math!  :D

Wouldn't that be your idle speed?  Anywhere from 800 (too low and rough) to 1000 (good sweet spot).

One consideration:  if your electrical system is out, not just your starter or solenoid, then a cold engine usually won't start without glow plugs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

just testing the new photo uploader.  :DOk, maybe not. I'll stop now. BTW-who needs glow plugs?
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on April 08, 2017, 03:20:29 PM

If a single pull takes about 1/2 second that's 6rps or 360rpm

Paul

Paul

That's 0.16 second for a full revolution of the crank pulley  Not sure that would be realistic by hand pull? 
Even if 360 is a reasonable rpm to start, that speed has to be obtained against the cylinder compression.  Could we do that by hand, w/ 24" of rip cord?  Empirically wouldn't seem so.  Possibly with no compression but with only 3 turns of the crank (3 wraps) wouldn't seem to be enough momentum created to pop the decompression and start it. 

Assuming that you can do it against engine compression, 3 spins on the crank is zero cylinders getting a full 4 strokes  - and one cyl getting an intake and compression stroke.   So it has to start on that ONE cylinder that has fuel and gets to TDC on the compression stroke.  And that single shot at it has to successfully ignite. 

In other words, assuming that cylinders have lost compression being idle for hours, on each pull there's one and only one instant that ignition can possibly happen, and that one time has to fire off.  Not great odds.   More pulls doesn't increase those odds.

The vids will be interesting!!   :D :D

ken

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Bobg

Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

britinusa

Interesting 'Spring Starter'

At first I thought it was some annual thingy. ;)

Still going to try the pull start.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Bill Shreeves

So, I'm a newbie and I only have 1 season on my 34, my first sailboat that I couldn't paddle if I HAD TO.  I'm thinking, assuming I've ponied up the nominal fee for the gold towing as I have, why not call them for a tow instead of risking damage to me, my boat or someone else's boat trying to start the diesel with a hand-crank or sail into the marina?  BTW, my slip last season was 12' x 30' with a 40' wide fairway and a finger pier.  Maybe I don't have the prerequisite testosterone to skipper a mid-size sailboat... ;)

The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD