File size too large

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

There have been many occasions that I have attempted to contribute a pic that I thought might help out a fellow C34eerrer only to be told ....naa you can't do that.  I'm lazy so I give up easy.
I was under the impression that storage space has gotten dirt cheap.  Any chance this changes?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

MarcZ

Server storage is never cheap. But you can resize the pics see  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3701.0
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

britinusa

Just tried this new Google Feature out.

This image was resized to 50% using the google resize too added to my Chrome Browser.

the file name had '50' appended to it.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

britinusa

Here's the original
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ben H.

Quote from: lazybone on March 30, 2017, 04:32:16 PM
There have been many occasions that I have attempted to contribute a pic that I thought might help out a fellow C34eerrer only to be told ....naa you can't do that.  I'm lazy so I give up easy.
I was under the impression that storage space has gotten dirt cheap.  Any chance this changes?

I've brought this up in the past too and agree there in some difficulty in having to tweak a file to share on here when so many other platforms will accept without hassle. And would say in general, Yes, internet storage has gotten cheaper. For example GoDaddy.com's deluxe plan at $11/month offers unlimited storage.

Having previously worked in IT, owning my own MSP (outsourced business IT) and recently building svhappycamper.com I'd be more then happy to help the association out with web management/hosting.

Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

KWKloeber

Lazybones

I use a few different apps, but this may be the easiest one and is my go-to for simple resizing.

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

No muss no fuss, eazy-peasy.  Just right click the file and "resize."

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

MarcZ

I would be interesting to hear from people in charge of c34.org about "technical stats". From what I can see, site is hosted at Lunarpages and they offer many plans and levels of service.
If you start reading terms of service especially from places like godaddy.com you realize that "unlimited" is more of marketing term then reality.
There is more to consider then an advertised price of storage, bandwidth not to mention migrating tolls, time, reputation of hosting company (example given is not exactly stellar)
Don't get me wrong I'm not an enemy of improvement, but I'm strong fan of homework.

Related idea:
If image resizing is a real problem can we perhaps start  with automating the task?
Simple machine forum (template used here) appears to have that ability
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2206

Do we have someone with some expertise ?
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

mark_53

If your using Windows, you can simply open the file in Paint and resize the file.

lazybone

Quote from: MarcZ on March 31, 2017, 11:14:49 AM
I would be interesting to hear from people in charge of c34.org about "technical stats". From what I can see, site is hosted at Lunarpages and they offer many plans and levels of service.
If you start reading terms of service especially from places like godaddy.com you realize that "unlimited" is more of marketing term then reality.
There is more to consider then an advertised price of storage, bandwidth not to mention migrating tolls, time, reputation of hosting company (example given is not exactly stellar)
Don't get me wrong I'm not an enemy of improvement, but I'm strong fan of homework.

Related idea:
If image resizing is a real problem can we perhaps start  with automating the task?
Simple machine forum (template used here) appears to have that ability
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2206

Do we have someone with some expertise ?

There ya go.   Something like that looks sweet.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Noah

I got a kick out of this added note on that site about the program:

"V2.0.1 Added Russian & Russian-utf8. Thanks to Bugo."  :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

lazybone

Should we be worried about the Russians taking over the C34BB? 😊.  ...or influencing our leader, Stu.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

FYI, I wrote the program for the C25 member's site and it includes an image uploader.
It automatically creates a thumbnail and standard sized image while keeping the uploaded images intact.

The Assoc management has the option to view all uploaded images and to flag them or delete them if need be.

The members have the option to rotate the images in case they uploaded an image that needed it.

When a member wants to include an image in a forum post, they can get the code from the members area and just paste into their post.

It has a built in test so that if it linked from elsewhere, it just shows a pirate image  8) but if shown in the forum, it will show the correct image.

So it's very doable, not that I have to time to replicate it. I'm busy working on my boat and want to go sailing!

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on April 01, 2017, 10:40:02 AM
FYI, I wrote the program for the C25 member's site and it includes an image uploader.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So it's very doable, not that I have to time to replicate it. I'm busy working on my boat and want to go sailing!

Paul, I'm very glad you have the right priorities!  :D :D :D  I used to have a C25 and still spend some time on their forum.  I have found that method by far the hardest way to post a photo of any website that allows photos on the entire internet.  It works for them. But, IIRC, it requires that you run photobucket or some other sort of photo-hosting.  All that's really needed here is to have a file on your own computer.  Simpler?  Not for me.

But, seriously, folks.  If the ONLY issue you have with our super-simple way of posting photos, and multiple photos in one post for that matter, is the file size, then it makes sense to learn how to resize photos because it is dead simple and we've shown you many ways to do it.

The reality is that as cameras, including smart phones, improve, the size of the photos has increased dramatically.  My five year old camera would make 870KB "high res" photos.  My new smart phone makes them 7,689KB!!!  Better cameras make even far larger size files.

A "medium" resized photo from a 5KB photo is less than 200KB.

What is so hard?  I just don't get it.  All of us run complicated sailboats.  Two clicks and you're done.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."