Trimming Beckson Ports

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

I am in the process of replacing the original Beckson ports. Beckson recommends trimming the body of the ports so they are flush with the exterior trim ring in order to better facilitate drainage.
The original ports were not trimmed.
Has anyone ever gone to the trouble of cutting off the excess?

Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Noah

Yikes! What a PIA. I would measure how "deep" your old ones were and match them. Although in my 1990 I only have Becksons in aft cabin and lewmars the rest of the boat. I replaced the "Old Standard" Lewmars (yeah, that's really their name) with new Lewmars, as I couldn't get replacement trim rings for the "old". The new ones look and work OK, but  I liked the old closure dogs better. Go figure?!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

lazybone

Quote from: DaveBMusik on March 29, 2017, 07:16:10 PM
I am in the process of replacing the original Beckson ports. Beckson recommends trimming the body of the ports so they are flush with the exterior trim ring in order to better facilitate drainage.
The original ports were not trimmed.
Has anyone ever gone to the trouble of cutting off the excess?

Dave

I had to replace one in the cockpit because of a broken dog..  The replacement that was sent to me was about an inch. longer than its mate.  I cut it down on the table saw.  Finished the edge buy progressively finer sanding and then some polish.  It wasn't difficult.

If I were replacing the ones on the cabin sides I would cut them down on a bevel leaving the full dimension at the top (as a hood) sloping toward flush at the bottom.   You would probably need to do this on a band saw with a angled fence or by handsaw.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stu Jackson

Never did.  Doesn't really matter because the ones on the cabintop are sloped, and the cockpit ones are vertical anyway and low enough that unless it's raining sideways it doesn't affect them.  Too much work for no return.   I have eight of them.  I have only had to replace one, port side forward in the V berth.  Included in the 101 topic.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

Like Stu said, they are angled so even if you cut them down, I don't see how it's going to help on the drainage much.  The way they are built they will always catch some water.  If I was going to cut down any, it would be the 2 in the cockpit.  Seem to catch the ankles on them a couple times each season.

DaveBMusik

The rain drain has a steep slope closest to the port and then is flat. Depending on the angle away from vertical, the longer the drain, the higher the end and the greater chance of water resting on the gasket.
I am not going to the trouble  of cutting them, but I can see how it could make a difference. A PO had drilled a hole in the drain to allow water out and I may go that route again.
I picked up new ones at Defender yesterday and they look great. I hated to spend the money, but I was afraid I was going to lose a finger cleaning the old ones. I'm not sure if they were originally bedded with something like 5200 but they were miserable.

I had just put on new windows last year so if anyone needs one, let me know.

Dave

Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT