Engine Hatch/Step Hinge Solution

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I finally found the perfect marine grade bronze hinges to do the "Ron Hill" lift-up engine access step/hatch modification.  I have always shied away from doing this, not wanting to use piano hinge or hinges that I would have to unscrew or drive out the hinge pins on in order to remove the hatch if need.  These hinges have a spring loaded hinge pin so you just pull both pins and hinge "releases" and comes apart with hinge body with the pins still in place captured in the hinge body. Not cheap hardware but effective. Pease disregard my mismatched oval head and flat head screws, I used what I had from my stash.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Noah

Don't think so? How would you slide the hatch sideways to take apart?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

SWEET, Noah. Nice looking.

Suncor, Perco, and others also have take-apart hinges, some chrome, some stainless.
Sea Dog makes chrome and stainless short-arm and long-arm take aparts - $20 a pop. I have something similar on my fold-down T&H cockpit table so it's easy to take below out of the Wx.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on March 26, 2017, 02:51:01 PM
Don't think so? How would you slide the hatch sideways to take apart?

Yeah if there's no sideways leeway, the slide-aways won't work.

Other ideas - a poor-(wo)man's take-apart hinge, is to remove the pin from any utility hinge, overdrill the two leaves 1/64", and insert a clevis, spring-loaded, or ball-lock pin, or (very poor(wo)man's) - a machine screw/acorn nut.

If what's being supported isn't very heavy, a barrel bolt will also work as a take-apart hinge.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain