10:1 outhaul?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

In the process of replacing the internal boom outhaul.  I see that CD has 10:1 outhaul but, since I don't have in-mast furling, is there a need to increase from the factory outhaul?  I intend to buy parts locally and not buy the 10:1 from CD.  Is there a need to generate that much tension on the foot?

Since I'm still new at sailing my own boat that I don't tare down and trailer away each day, should some tension on the outhaul be relaxed when not sailing allowing the foot of the sail to relax?  Also, the existing outhaul line is 15over ' long.  Why would it need to be that long?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

Lots written here on Forum about this. I opted for 10:1 internal and it works fine. Some say not necessary? I made mine with "off the shelf parts" at the same time that I painted and redid standing rigging and some of the running rigging.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Bill : I'm not too sure why you'd need a 10:1 outhaul??  The factory outhaul that you have is a 3/4:1 which is more that enough. 
I tension the Mainsail foot in the spring and it stays that way till I remove the sail in the fall.

The main problem that I had was the internal line assembly (5/16" Dacron) was twisting because Catalina had use all swiveling blocks - when the block at the goose neck fitting should have been fixed instead of swivel.  There is a swivel block at the stainless cable attachment. 
Look in WiKi or page 4.1.6 of your owners manual or the one in our C34 web site.

You can get all the necessary replacement parts (if you need them?) at any chandlery. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Shreeves

Ron : that was more or less part of the question, do I really need more than factory?  I don't think so but, I lack the experience of the members of this site so, I ask so I learn fewer things the hard way  :D  I kinda thought it be for roller furling main but even then, 10:1?   THanks for your insight.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Roc

Many people (me included) set the outhaul and forget it.  However, using it to adjust draft is helpful.  Light air, loosen it to create more draft.  Heavy air, tighten it up to flatten the sail to depower.  A fellow dockmate led his to the cockpit and finds the adjustment helpful.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

FWIW, the CD 10:1 is way overkill (JTSO) selling you parts that you can spend better money on other upgrades/mods.  There's write ups on increasing purchase from the to 5:1.  That's certainly reasonable.

Some C-30 owners installed a short track and Harken outhaul car at the end of the boom to make adjustments WAY easier than dragging a slug thru a friction-ridden slot.  I don't know if y'all have the same set up w/ a slug?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ken --the boom on the 34 has no room/length for an external car set-up.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Thanks Noah. That falls under the "learn something new every day" category.
The sea 30 boom must be extra long. In fact I ended up " removing" several inches of mine when it interfered with a new dodger-Bimini connecting awning.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Gary Brockman

I switched to a 10/1 two years ago from the factory original and it was well worth it. I race my boat quite a bit and have a loose footed main with the outhaul is lead back to the cockpit. The outhaul adjusts very easily from light winds to heavy winds even with the extra friction of bringing it back to the cockpit. It you just set the outhaul once and never adjust it, you don't need 10/1, but if you adjust it a lot like we do, the 10/1 is great.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California