Trojan T105 Battery Mounting Pictures?

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I find myself with a toasted charger and a battery bank that needs replacing.  Reading the upgrade thread has me dreaming of the increased capacity of the Trojan T105's but I'd love to see photos, if anyone has them, of the 4 batteries mounted in the battery compartment that resembles mine... I'm guessing any Mk1 would have the same battery box as my 1.5, but who knows?

I'd also love to see photos of an alternately mounted starting battery if anyone has anything.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : Look in thy Mainsheet tech notes.  I know that there is at least one picture and article by Hank Recla on mounting 4 Trojan's in a Mk1 battery compartment.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ben H.

Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Dave Spencer

Hi Mike,
I went up to the boat in early January to remove my batteries so I could turn them in for the core value for the new ones I bought last month.  Here are some pictures showing the battery arrangement in my boat and the battery box with the batteries removed.  The PO put a plywood sheet in the bottom of the battery well to hold the T105s. I took most of what you can see in the picture home to clean up and paint before I reinstall my new batteries in April before launch.  Now that I have easy access, I also have some cleanup to do on the fuse block arrangement. 

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Not much more you can do with four in that space.  This is a friend's C34.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

DaveBMusik

Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Jon W

For a MK 1, as Ben said I have a write up in the Tech WIKI for a complete electrical upgrade including 4 T105's in the battery compartment, and adding a reserve battery under the forward corner of the sette instead of under the aft cabin mattress. Lots of photos.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

More from my boat.  I have web straps over the tops (not shown) and did not do dividers between, instead used oak wedges on one side.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

One more thing: depending on the direction you run your cables: if they exit out of the bottom of the box I would strongly recommend that you caulk the penetration hole(s) in the chance of a catastrophic battery leak, battery acid dosen't run into your bilge. This is one of my exceptions to the "no silicone on board" rule. It actually works well for this as it is not impacted by battery acid.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

mark_53

Using T105's does not allow an installation inside a sealed battery box. Not a good idea.

Dave Spencer

Mark,
Certainly true that sealed boxes won't fit but what are the options?  The "risk" seems very low compared to the return of a high capacity, high quality, relatively inexpensive house battery bank.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mark_53 on March 22, 2017, 06:27:40 AM
Using T105's does not allow an installation inside a sealed battery box. Not a good idea.

Sealing the bottom opening to avoid acid running out does not mean sealing the entire box.  No reason to not have vents along the faces of the box as many have done.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rmbrown

There's so much about my boat that doesn't meet current ABYC standards that I'm sure what I do will be an improvement.  That said, I want to use my dollars wisely and improve the value of my boat, not make expensive mistakes.

I just forked over the $185 to join ABYC for a year so I could study the standards.  I'll report back if anyone is interested.  E-10 and E-11 seem the relevant ones to this topic.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC