rmbrown

Here's my lack of bump photos...
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Wow Mike  - pics show that's just wrong on so many levels.  Good for you for eliminating all the faux pas.

Looking at the series 93 they look very cool - love the idea of the integral hose barbs.
With the 1/2"-3/4" size, they barely give you enough room to double clamp (1.3" and 1.4" long barbs)  You really have to make sure you slam the hose and clamps against the body.  You'd think Forespar could have been a little more generous on that - What's the cost of another 3/8" of "plastic"??

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

MarcZ

No "bump" - nice,  and there are only 6 boats between us... 

:shock: Someone was definitely "creative" with these valves. 
I like the green one. :wink:
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

rmbrown

Got two... Give me your mailing address. ;)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

Well this isn't going as smoothly as I'd hoped... Surprise!

I have three 1/2 valves and three 3/4 inch valves.  Catalina no longer has or uses the 1/2 in valves, so I contacted Forespar.  I'm working with Randy there trying to identify what I need but the outer end of the 93 series thru-hulls doesn't have the same cross section as what came off the boat.  What came off the boat were all the same OD, independent of ID/thread size.  Other than filling in the flush countersinks and going to mushrooms or redrilling for new flush thru hulls, anyone got any ideas?

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Mike

Do the series 93 sea cocks fit your 3/4 thru hulls, or neither one?

Caution on on the term "valves."  Forespar has 93 "valves" which are npt tapered thread, and 93 "sea cocks" which are all  nps straight thread.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

MarcZ

What are the actual "outer part" dimensions ?

93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

rmbrown

the OD of the outside flange is 2.3-2.4 inches... pictures of my thru hulls are here that show more dimensions if that's not what you were asking.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ogbrll19ydf3q64/AAB2NG9p71yFDgryTxcNCB8Ja?dl=0
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

Mike: regarding your comment from your strainer thread:" I intended to replace my thru hull along with the valve but the shape and size of the flush "mushroom" isn't the same.  Forespar tells me that they can make the valves with a thread on the bottom to match the old thru hulls.  They aren't flanged in the traditional sense... no thru bolts... but they have a wide base to support them from failing due to rocking to one side and, according to Maine Sail's video test, they are plenty strong in shear."

1. Are you saying Forespar is custom-making valves threaded to match your existing thru-hulls? Or are they off the shelf. 2. what are the OD sizes of each and their purpose/location in your boat? Unfortunate that you have to put new valves on old thru hulls.

I am weighing the same project at my next haulout in Oct./Nov. Have you discussed with Jon W., he recently changed all his to flanged seacocks and new thru hulls, and may have some input to assist you?

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

My understanding is that they can make their valves with a lower portion to match the old thru hulls or the new ones, by putting an "N" at the end of the part number, but I'm not 100% yet.

What I got from my contact there is that if I send him the dimensions of my thru hulls and the dimensions of my existing hose barbs, he can sell me a valve that will use my old thru hull and end in the same size barb, pointed accordingly.  That way, I avoid having to fill and redrill for the thru-hulls.  Not 100% committed but that's where I'm headed today.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Mike,

That sounds like good news.

Is it simply that your thru hulls (some of them) are too small (ie, 1/2") diameter?  But are the "correct" straight, non-tapered thread form?

Or are your thru hulls completely different from the "standard" thru hulls for the series 93 seacocks?

ken

rmbrown

the diameters of the flush "plug" portion are significantly larger on the old ones than the new ones.  Of course, I can fill and redrill, but I'd prefer not to if I convince myself that it's a safe option.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Sorry, I'm not being clear.
I'm not asking about the new thru hulls and how they fit your hull holes/recess do to speak. .

What I'm saying is the old thru hull threads do not fit the "standard" series 93 seacocks, correct?
Are the two thread forms (your old vs new 93) completely different?
Or is it just that your 1/2" thru hulls do not fit the new Seacocks (e.g. they are an odd diameter.)

rmbrown

I think it's an NPS vs BSP issue.  Different number of threads per inch, for many diameters, and a different shaped thread... One rounded, one flat.  All that said, it would probable work mechanically, just may be hard to seal.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

New valves have arrived... :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC