Thru hulls and sea cocks

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Jon, not sure what you mean about a "bump"? Looks to me like the hull was countersunk to accept flush mounted thru-hull for less drag. Standard. Our are you talking about a "bump" on the inside of the hull for added thickness to act as a faux backing plate for a non-flange mounted screw on thru-hull nut--which would result in a bit a complication when switching to a flange mount one with the backing plate flush to the hull?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

MarcZ

I'm referring to the inside bump getting in the way of easily adding a mounting plate.
Almost all thruhulls (or actually surrounding areas) in my boat look like this and it appears to be sock factory no PO mod traces of any kind.

I'm partial to "trudesign" collar that would simply go around the bump providing good lateral support and no need for very custom backing plates
Unless someone can suggest better method.

93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

Jon W

Just looked and you're right Catalina Direct does have both. Looks different than mine, must be a new model.

I had them changed out by professionals, but my inside hull surface was flat.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Noah,

Following up.
Just to be precise so there's no misunderstanding  hose barbs, Etc.,  should be double clamped if the line terminates under the waterline. In other words a bilge pump hose  to a through hull above the waterline wouldn't be subject to flooding. Conversely, a connection that is  self above the waterline, but on a hose that terminates below the waterline, should be double clamped  because it could be subject to siphoning even though the  given connection is above the waterline (if that  exclamation makes any sense.)

Not only are tailpieces at issue, but likewise any hose barb adapters and/or pipe nipples ( such as on a strainer.)
Looking through your photos again just now, telltale evidence tells me you have no marelon down there ( except the valves). Possibly the only *safe*  fitting is the one I sent for the sink drain.  Caution to all - it was S.O.P. for CTY to use PVC fittings.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Yep, hence my desire to change-out all! I just threw in that double clamp "reminder/fact" as it looked like Jon's were not double clamped--nor are some of mine. I bet there are others out there in this position as well. Just putting all the parts together, and the time, and squeezing into the the nooks and crannies, has been a challenge.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Mine under the sink are not double clamped but are on the list when I relocate the raw water strainer. Not sure how to fit two clamps on the hose barbs. The fittings in the photo are reinforced nylon, not pvc.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Jon

I am unsure what you mean by "reinforced" nylon?
They look like plain nylon fittings from the pics, but a little hard to tell.

If you email me  and inventory of what you need as far as thread/hose size,  I can send you barbed adapters that are "Marelon equivalent" as far as strength and are long enough to double clamp.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

They were labeled glass fiber reinforced nylon.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Jon W on March 13, 2017, 09:04:55 PM
They were labeled glass fiber reinforced nylon.

Which is what Marelon is...   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

rmbrown

As for the PVC T's and such, I'm getting rid of mine at the same time.  The valves I'm most considering now are the Forespar OEM Series 93's.  They may be the same that CD sells, but I can't be sure since they'll only tentatively confirm that they are forespar at all.  I know the series 93's are much newer and stronger than the previous generation which came after my boat was built. 

Anyway, they come in a wide variety of configurations... I'm hoping enough that I can have nothing but the valve and parts it came with plus the hose.

I was pretty impressed with MaineSail's destruction test of the thing!

http://www.forespar.com/OEM-Valves.shtml
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Do those valves fit on the old style Forespar thru hulls?  Or must you install and entire assembly?

kk

MarcZ

I'm not sure if it is officially supported configuration but answer is:  Yes.
You can leave the Forespar thruhull only swap the nut from forespar to trudesign (allowing load bearing collar to fit nicely)    -  Most likely exact setup I'm going to use.
Will post some pics once I get to the boat.
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

rmbrown

My boat doesn't have the internal bumps but I can't seem to post pictures... I've tried including them as attachments and see them uploading... but the post never shows up.  Can someone educate me?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: rmbrown on March 15, 2017, 08:32:41 AM
My boat doesn't have the internal bumps but I can't seem to post pictures... I've tried including them as attachments and see them uploading... but the post never shows up.  Can someone educate me?

Mike

Does the text of your post show up?, and just not the pic attachments?
What size are they? If any are over 200 kb (or 450 kb total), you should see an error message that they were too large to post.  No error message shows?

kk