Mast Refinishing

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben H.

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some research on refinishing the mast, boom, spreaders on my C-34 before commissioning this summer.  I've found a few posts about this, but most are fairly old. My current plan is to use Interlux products to refinish. Support told me to sand with 180 and clean up corrosion. 2 Coats Epoxy PrimeKote and 3 coats Perfection.

Has anyone attempted this before? Recommendations or other options?

Also, what "White" have people used before? There are like 5 choices for "white"  :shock:

Thanks,
Ben
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Noah

I had my mast repainted by the yard when I was still rich (before 3 years of boat restoration, LOL!). I removed the rigging and they sanded prepped, primed and painted the mast with LP (linear polyurethane). Then I reassemble with new rigging and wiring.  The mast paint job ran about $60 per foot (PRICE CORRECTED from $6 to $60). Big investment. As far as color goes: What I did was use a very bright clean white for the section above deck and used an off-white for the section inside the boat. While it looks yellow in comparison in the photos, the inside section matches the inside gelcoat finish of the cabin, almost perfectly—so it doesn't scream bright white.  Subtle, but something to think about however you do your painting.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Noah's $6 per foot would be $300 for a 50 foot keel stepped mast. A great price when you take labor and materials into account. WM price in San Diego for the qt of special thinner, qt of primer, and qt of top coat was $116 plus tax. If you can get $6 per foot hire them to do it. I was hearing $1,500 plus, so did it myself.

I only did spots where I had corrosion when I had the mast pulled for my complete rig upgrade a few months ago. I was concerned at first that spot painting the mast would look polka dotted. It doesn't. The top coat paint blended well and actually looks good/like new.

materials used -
    INTERLUX 216 Special Thinner (Y216/QT)
    INTERLUX Brightside Pre-Kote Primer, White, Quart (Y4279/QT)
    INTERLUX Brightside® One-Part Polyurethane Paint, White, Quart (Y4359/QT)

To do it I followed the attached that I found online. It worked great.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

PRICE CORRECTION: Very sorry guys it was $60 per ft. Approx $3,900 which includes remove and replacing with crane.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ben H.

Thanks Noah and Jon W.

Jon W. - Was there a reason you went with the one-part Brightside products versus the two-part Perfection products? What method of applying the paint did you use?

I'll work on taking some pictures of the boom in its current state to share.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

Jon W

No specific reason other than there was more written about it online, and it was considerably less expensive. It's been a while but think there were cautions about applying over existing paint. Both are for above the waterline. The perfection brand talks UV protection, but to be above the waterline both must have UV protection.

I painted with a brush.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : There were two items that I whish were changed on my C34:

1. Gray deck to white deck.
2. White painted mast/boom to anodized spares.

The killer is that what I wish were changed to, were original and what I got were - paid for $$ extras!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

I'm in the process of painting now.  Got one coat of pre-kote on before what is hopefully the last cold snap of the season.  I'm going the brightside route, partly because of price, partly because of the referenced article, partly because of a (n perhaps ill-informed) understanding that the patchwork of paint that's been used to touch up over the years might not fare well under the solvents necessary for the perfection.  In any case I own the Brightside (white), so that's where I'm headed. :)
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

rmbrown

Zinc chromate on bare spots, 2 coats of pre-kote, first coat of Brightside so far and pretty happy with the results.

I started with 3 inch roller and 1" foam brush.  I'd recommend a wide foam brush... 4" maybe?  Someone took pity on me and gave me two.  Made a world of difference.  I'll switch to a wider roller for the next coat.  I think I could do a good job of I had it to do again!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ben H.

Quote from: rmbrown on March 26, 2017, 07:02:20 PM
I started with 3 inch roller and 1" foam brush.  I'd recommend a wide foam brush... 4" maybe?

Mike,

Do you have any pictures or the final product?
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

rmbrown

I didn't take any yesterday... it looked good to me, with some runs and thick spots up top (START AT THE TOP!) before I improved my skill set.... but I'll be back next week for the final coat and I'll take some then.  I put the zinc chromate on the bare spots first.  The two coats of pre-kote didn't cover them so I was nervous about the paint but the brightside itself definitely covered better and has a shiny finish.  Give me a week and I'll bore the crowd with a picture.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ben H.

Hi Everyone,

The Mast Refinishing project continues. Last weekend I started removing all the hardware from the mast itself. I'm down to a few stubborn screws and the riveted in items. Regarding the riveted items. Do I drill out the rivets and replace them later? Just regular stainless rivets? Thoughts comments please!

Also, here are a few pictures of the boom and spreader with it's first coat of finish 2-part paint (Interlux). Sanding and 2 more coats to go.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886

rmbrown

Looking good!

Re the rivets, anything other than the line of rivets holding the conduit from top to bottom of the mast is, if like mine, 3/16" stainless.  The ones holding the conduit, on my mast at least, are aluminum.  Paint over those... don't drill them out!  The stainless ones you can drill out and replace when you are done.  I coated all mine in lanocote when I put them back and bedded everything with butyl tape.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jon W

Looks great Ben. As good as a pro, but you saved enough money for a couple of projects.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca