Connecting Garmin NMEA 2000 to Raymarine NMEA 0183 Wheelpilot

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Has anyone got the working diagram of a connection from a Garmin GPS with NMEA 2000 and Raymarine Wheelpilot (ST6002) NMEA 0183

I have followed the manuals for both devices but cannot get Wind data to the Raymarine to enable Auto Tack

Thanks.

paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

MarcZ

I don't think we have enough information here
Can you draw or describe your setup  ?
What network / instruments do you have ?
In general connecting  NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 is not trivial will require some translating device and planning
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

britinusa

-NMEA 2000 Backbone -- Garmin 741XS GPSMap
Garmin Wireless Wind Transducer -- Garmin Wireless Interface -- GND 10 -- NMEA 2000 Backbone
Garmin Depth/Speed/Temp Transducer -- NMEA 2000 Backbone
Garmin AIS Receiver -- NMEA 2000 Backbone
Garmin GMI 20 Display -- NMEA 2000 Backbone

Raymarine Smart Pilot -- Drive Unit - Course Computer - Fluxgate Compass - ST6002 Pilot Controller

The Garmin 741XS GPSMap has a NMEA 0183 port
The Raymarine Smart Pilot has a pair (+ & -) NMEA 0183 inputs and Outputs

Wind is being displayed on the GMI 20 & the 741XS

From reading the Garmin and Raymarine installation manuals....

I have the +ve Out (Blue) from the 741xs wired to the Raymarine +ve In
I have the +ve In (Brown) from the 741xs wired to the Raymarine +ve Out

I have a diagram, here's hoping it's not too big.

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

MarcZ

Looks like  Garmin 741XS GPSMap is not able to transmit MWD and MWV over the NMEA 0183 see page 39 of the manual
You might have to get something like Actisense NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 Gateway.

Upper Chesapeake

MarcZ

Since your Autopilot  "SeaTalk"s  other option is to use :

Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalk ng converter
and
SeaTalk Ng  to NMEA2000 adapter

It is less elegant but it would probably be also less expensive

I have no real experience with reliability of such solution.

Digital Yacht will have some type of SeaTalk <-> NMEA2000  product released this spring , but details and price are not known.
Upper Chesapeake

Stu Jackson

Could another way to deal with this be to simply ignore the wind interface?  If I'm sailing by the wind, what does the connection to a waypoint get me?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

I'm not sure if this will help or not but there seems to be a trick to working with Garmins.

https://theboatgalley.com/connecting-gx2200-vhsais-to-garmin-chartplotter/

Different equipment but it sounds like a similar issue.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

britinusa

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 24, 2017, 01:20:17 PM
Could another way to deal with this be to simply ignore the wind interface?  If I'm sailing by the wind, what does the connection to a waypoint get me?

I tend to agree, but the issue has nothing to do with waypoints other than we would want to sail on the best heading for the waypolnt.

Our AP will not auto tack without wind data.

A buddy has just removed a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 translator from his boat after replacing his AP for a different brand to match the rest of his instrumentation. So I may be able to barter some Canvas work for the translator.

As far as I can tell (this is my first boat with AutoHelm) the benefit of being able to Auto Tack is that I could give the AP the command to tack through the wind, get in front of the helm, adjust the Jib and Traveller as the boat turns onto the new heading.

I could ignore it and just give the AP the +/- 10 *5 = 50° command and go adjust the sails.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

MarcZ

Unfortunately above problem is very different (direction and signal type )  then connecting AIS to Garmin over NMEA 0183 (simple connectivity and supported signal/sentence). 

Issue is with Garmin specifically 741XS GPSMap not forwarding wind sentences on NMEA 0183 protocol  :shock: . (  as per manual it is an expected behavior)

It is possible that Garmin could add such functionality in the future via firmware update, but I would not hold my breath

Only way to resolve it is to find something that can translate NMEA 2000 wind info to NMEA 0183 format 
(suggested Actisense NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 Gateway  -  is a solid product)

Upper Chesapeake

Dave S

The Raymarine ST6002 should auto-tack without wind data. Pressing the +1 and +10 simultaneously should turn you 100 degrees to starboard. Likewise, pressing -1 and -10 together will tack 100 degrees to port. 100 degrees is the factory default setting and can be changed in a set-up menu - I forget where.

FYI: Last summer, I helped install a new Raymarine EV-100 wheel pilot on a Garmin NMEA2000 backbone that included a Garmin wind sensor. The autopilot would randomly shut down with the error "No Pilot." After many fruitless hours with tech support, we finally separated the autopilot from the Garmin backbone and it's worked well ever since. The downside is you can't set the autopilot to a wind angle and can't tell it to go to a waypoint from the chart plotter. All this is to caution that some Garmin and Raymarine devices might not get along even if they're properly connected. NMEA is a standard except when it's not.
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD