A few requests for recommendations

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

We are prepping the boat for this year and want to make a few changes.  I am hoping to get some recommendations for these items.

V berth sheets and a 2" memory foam pad with cover.  We had one on our last boat and it was incredibly comfortable but that company's name is long gone from my memory.

Remote oil filter.   Has anyone found a good and less than $300 option for an M35? 

Oil change pump.   Our M35 has the hose coming out of the sump bottom and it is clamped to a bulkhead on the starboard side of the engine compartment.  A logical solution, to me anyway, is to permanently mount and plumb a lever or plunger actuated pump to this bulkhead and eliminate some of the hassle of oil changes.   We are expecting to head south again with the expected 8-10 oil changes required over a 4500-5500 mile distance.   The last time I used one of the Jabsco brass piston pumps and it worked fine but was occasionally messy.   

thanks
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Clay Greene

Tufted Topper makes a very nice custom-fitted mattress pad.  We have them on the boat and at home. 

We've always used the West Marine hand-pump oil changer and it has always worked fine.  Sometimes simpler is better. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

Dietrich : Look at the Beta engines - they have such a oil change pump.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

I'll second the Tufted Topper.  The PO purchased one and I like it. 
For oil changes I use a 2 gal. fluid extractor.

http://www.airpoweramerica.com/A-DEAL-Topsider-MVP-Oil-Changer--Closeouts-40-Off-_p_46.html

Works great, I got a couple of hardware fittings and hook it up to the drain hose.  That and a custom cut drip pan for the oil filter and I change oil without a drop to clean up.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

kwaltersmi

I've got an electric oil change pump hard wired to the 12v system and mounted on the starboard side of the engine compartment. It works great and makes a simple task even easier. No excuses for not changing my oil!

'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

dfloeter

Thanks all for the input.   I just ordered the pump from Beta at a cost of about $115 inc. shipping.   This includes the mounting brackets and shutoff valve.   

I will look more at Tufted Topper. 

thanks from the rapidly melting north
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ron Hill

Guys : Instead of buying a "Marine Grade $$ Topper", I went to Kohls and bought a 2 inch king size bed Memory Foam pad.  Took the cushions in to the clubhouse and outlined them on the memory foam with a Sharpie.  Then used an electric knife to cut the foam to size.  It worked just fine!!

If you also go on Wednesdays when they have the senior Discount you can eve save some more.  Their memory foam also comes in 3" and 4" thicknesses.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Facts about memory foam:
1. It will not improve your memory ("fake news")
2. Some say it sleeps hot
3. It is very heavy
:sleepy:
BTW- Ron, who you calling "senior"?  :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah :  1. If you are a "Senior" you don't know what you are "missing"!!
            2. Sleeps "Just fine"  - take it from one who slept thru all of the mortar & rocket attacks !!
            3. Not noticeably bow heavy.

A Senior is one who realizes it - when it arrives!!

A few thoughts   :clap

Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ha, Ron-- as much as I deny it kicking and screaming my drivers license and my "Grandpa" title  reveal my true senior status. As far as the memory foam, I was just passing on the "sleeps hot" rumor. As far as the it's heavy comment, I was thinking he wanted it for the aft cabin and manhandling that big of piece in that tight space is going to take some effort.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on February 28, 2017, 05:27:08 PM
......................... As far as the memory foam, I was just passing on the "sleeps hot" rumor.

My mother-in-law spent altogether too much time in her later years researching new mattresses and covers.  She chose this crap and ended up missing enjoyment of her last five years.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Dietrich,
We have Tufted Topper for the V-berth, also custom fitted sheets.  The topper comes with straps that go under the cushions to prevent the topper from moving around.  Very comfortable.  We did try 2" foam years ago on top of the cushions but did not like the way it slept.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

dfloeter

Thanks for the input from our older and more experienced members.   As I said in the first post, we did have a 2" piece of memory foam with a cotton cover that was very comfortable.  Maybe it slept hot, never noticed, but it was heavy.   That was on our Cat 30 where we slept in the middle with the table down so usually moved it out of the way every day.  That does get old.   Having a fabric cover meant it did not stick to everything it touched.

I have finished a pair of standoff brackets for my new oil pump and will post a picture when it is fully plumbed in place.   Total cost for the pump, shut off valve and a couple brackets I can't use was about $110 delivered.   
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20