second anchor?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

We are putting together a list of projects  :cry4`and supplies for a trip we are planning to the North Channel this summer. Looking at the number of tight anchorages we are thinking a second anchor would be a good idea to have along considering we may need to set two of them. We will be carrying 250 feet of spare rode but have been wondering what spare anchor we should carry. We have been leaning toward a Danforth and thought if we knew what size fit the mount in the anchor locker it would store well.

This is by no means set in stone and were wondering what ideas you all might have.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Paulus

We have been going to the North Channel for the past 38 years.  I have only used a second anchor in narrow channel by Dreamers Rock.  Not enough room to swing.  Most anchorages are well protected and one good anchor does the job.  I do carry a secondary anchor, a 22 ib. bruce.  Most anchorages are fairly shallow.  Hope to see you in the North Channel this summer.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

The general consensus for a second anchor is most often a Danforth-type, a true Danforth or the lighter more modern Fortress.

The reasons are simple:  1) for use as a kedge anchor or a stern anchor;  2) modern new gen bower anchors rarely need a second anchor at the bow.

Danforth-type anchors are very good in holding in one direction, thus they are employed for these purposes. 

While storage at the bow in the provided notches would be good for storage, deployment is usually at the stern.  If you find you use it for that purpose, then buying and installing a Danforth-type hanger on your pushpit would be better for deployment.  One would still have the issue of rode storage.  Otherwise, leave it up at the bow and haul it out if necessary.

You need to measure the notches in the anchor locker and find out what size anchor fits.  Also measure the depth of the locker to assure the length of the shank will fit also.  The maximum width of the flukes in the notches may suggest a bigger anchor than will fit vertically.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Agree with Stu on the secondary anchor but in the north channel the boat usually swings with the wind.  I use a 32ib bruce with 34" feet of chain for my primary anchor.  I keep the 20 lb and  175' of rode in the aft locker.  Replaced the rode this winter.  Many  boaters tie to a tree if they don't want to swing, especially in very small anchorages.  Drop the main anchor and then back up towards the shore and tie the stern to a tree or rock.  Have your line ready.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

I am kind of anchor rich. But no local knowledge of your area:
I keep my 22 lb. Danforth and 150 ft.  of 3-strand nylon w/30 ft. of chain in my port cockpit locker (flaked in a plastic crate) used as a stern anchor or (potential kedge) and can bring to bow for a lunch hook. My main anchor on bow/windlass is a 35 lb. Manson Supreme, with 350 ft of 8-plait rode and 45 ft of chain. I also kept my old 35 lb. CQR with 250 ft. of 3-strand nylon and 40 ft of chain, that I will bring back on board for my (hopeful) 3+ week cruise to the Santa Barbara Channel Islands this summer. This will give me options for a variety of holding ground and emergency conditions.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

k,

If it helps you, I have a rarely used, hot-dipped galvanized danforth type (don't know the brand), looking for a home for S/H cost.  I don't know the weight, but the measurements match up nearly exactly to the Danforth S®1300
http://www.danforthanchors.com/standard.html

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mas Tequila

Paulus,

We may really need to pick brain on the North Channel. This will be our first trip to the North Channel and we are planning 2 to 3 weeks sometime in June. We will be leaving from Frankfort MI and heading to Beaver Island and then to Harbor Island. We might try to make our way directly to Harbor Island but that of course would be weather dependent and if we are up to such a long haul. We have been reading everything we can get our hands on about the North Channel but as you know there is a lot of information out there. We are interested in getting away to discovering quite places and just relaxing. If you have any suggestions on must see places please let us know.

We did see that many people are setting a bow anchor and then backing toward the shore and tying off to trees and rocks. Since we have an extra 250 foot rode we figured that would work of tying off but an extra anchor can't hurt to have on board.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Mas Tequila

Ken,

Drop me an email and let me know what you want for it.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber

Quote from: Mas Tequila on February 19, 2017, 01:11:35 PM
This will be our first trip to the North Channel and we are planning 2 to 3 weeks sometime in June.

Are you a member of the GLCC?  Lotsa good info there.
kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Mas Tequila on February 19, 2017, 01:14:29 PM
Ken,

Drop me an email and let me know what you want for it.

Mas or anyone, Just shipping.

Paulus

Mas Tequilla, 
We usually leave by the 1st of  June and our second night is usually in Frankfort.  Maybe we can get in touch when the sailing season approaches. 
Paul

Noah, I think you are well equipped, your cruise sounds interesting, enjoy.
Cool Change 1989 #944

Matley

Mas Tequila

The Great Lakes Cruising club is holding it's Wilderness Rally June 28- July 1, 2017 at Harbor Island.

Please consider this a special invitation to join us at Harbor Island where you can visit with many North Channel cruisers.

If you are a member of the GLCC, the cost for the Wilderness Rally is $38.00 per boat and includes 2 shore meals and several shore activities including solar panels for boaters and open source navigation software.

Some GLCC members will be going west to Sturgeon Bay for the GLCC Rendezvous, but there will be boaters who will be heading East into the North Channel for their summer cruising. You will be able to join them and get a guided tour of many of the best anchorages.

Bill Matley
Co-Chair Wilderness Rally
Director
GLCC

More information you can PM me at babaganosh@comcast.net

Mas Tequila

Ken,

We would love the anchor. Drop me an email and let me know how much to send you.

Paulus,

Please stay in touch. I don't as of yet know when we are going to leave for the NC but we are hoping as early in June as possible. If you are going to stop in Frankfort let us know when and we will buy a round or two at Stormcloud Brewing.

Matley,

We just joined GLCC yesterday, we are waiting for our approval email right now but looks like a great organization.

Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Paulus

Send me your telephone number and will call when we get to Frankfort.  Are you on a mooring or at the town docks?
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Mas : You never said what your present primary anchor is?? 
The normal wisdom is to carry a second anchor of a different type.  That way you are fairly well covered for holding on most bottoms. 

Also don't skimp on the chain for the second anchor!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788