Battery Box Platform

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Young

I want to built a Battery Box Platform. One where I can screw a Plastic battery box to.
What is the best / easy way to attach the platform to the hull? I would prefer not to screw it in.
But I need it strong enough to keep the battery from moving around.
any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Noah

Simple: Light grind area, clean with acetone  and use epoxy (West Sytem or other) mixed to paste thickness with milled fibers/fillers.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mark_53

I cleaned thoroughly as Noah says but used 4600 to glue down a couple blocks of wood.  I mounted a small side post auto start battery in a cut down plastic box strapped to the wood blocks. Tight fit under the aft cabin.

KWKloeber

Brad, as Noah said an option is to just epoxy it in place.  You can either goop it up and squish it in place, or more carefully tab it in place with epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

If you do that, microfibers additive is considered the one with the best 'adhesive' property.       

When I had to add a platform, i affixed two treated wood cleats to the hull, then screwed the platform to the cleats so it could be removable. 

good luck with it,
kk

Quote from: Brad Young on February 07, 2017, 01:59:28 PM
I want to built a Battery Box Platform. One where I can screw a Plastic battery box to.
What is the best / easy way to attach the platform to the hull? I would prefer not to screw it in.
But I need it strong enough to keep the battery from moving around.
any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Brad : You don't need to build a full platform to cover the entire bottom of the battery compartment under the settee. 
Just put some wood/plywood together that will fill the existing molded indentations to make the entire battery compartment floor level.  Then you can still use the existing tie down strap brackets.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Here is what I did for my start battery under the aft bunk starboard side.  The platform is contoured to make battery ride level at "rest" and coated with clear West System epoxy on all surfaces. The fiddles/rails/cleats to hold battery box are removable with pull out through bolts and wing nuts (not shown). There is also webbing belt/strap around the whole thing (not shown).  Not too pretty, but solid and it works (and it is hidden under the berth.  It a sealed maintenance free flooded Group 24 battery, so no need to check water regularly. It is charged via an EchoCharger.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig