Leaky water tank fix?

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyride

Gang I'm getting ready for a big trip and have been checking all my systems and found a leak near the top of my aft water tank on my 91 mk1.5.  There's an indent where the tank fits below the steering quadrant and I've sprung a leak in the crease there.  Its easy to get the tank out but does anyone have a recommendation for fixing this leak.  It's like a pinhole leak and I was thinking I could spread some epoxy on there and call it good.  Anybody have any other tried and true methods?
1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel

Noah

There were several posts/chains on this very tank repair issue in the last few weeks. It is possible to "attempt" a repair. Do a little digging/scrolling/searching of recent posts--you will find it. Start here? http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9259.msg68134.html#msg68134
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Joy : The real way to fix that leak is to hot air weld it.

Being only a pin hole I'd clean the "hole area" with acetone and try a piece of metallic duct tape over the hole.  I believe it might hold.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Joyride

FYI I bought the 16.99 Plastic Welder and gave it a go.  It looks to be crude but effective.  I'm not sure if I want to post pictures of my first plastic weld, but it seems to be holding all right.
1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel