Boom is rotated out of vertical by several degrees

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

My boom is rotated out of vertical by several degrees on my '87 C34 and was that way when I purchased her last Spring.  This position is "fixed" and I don't know if it requires an adjustment at the gooseneck or if it isn't supposed to be "fixed" and time for replacement of the gooseneck casting assembly.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Dave Spencer

Hi Bill,
Goosenecks should either rotate on older boats like yours and mine or be fixed in position on newer boats (or at least those refitted with new castings from Catalina Direct). The attached link shows how the rotating gooseneck is secured with a relatively flimsy cotter pin.  If you search "gooseneck" you'll see a few stories about goosenecks letting go... definitely a bad thing.  Your rotating mechanism may have seized.  It's likely worthwhile to remove the gooseneck casting from the boom and inspect the inside.  If you do nothing else, I'd recommend increasing the size of the cotter pin as described in the linked post. 
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7127.msg49169.html#msg49169
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

If you have a rigid vang, then it is not going anywhere.  Dave's right.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Shreeves

Thanks for the info guys.  The pics in the attached link and your info is very helpful.  I figure on removing the boom / gooseneck and inspecting before our spring launch but, haven't yet.   So, it seems that either the original has seized or a newer gooseneck and the pin that fixes the rotation has bent, slipped out of the seat and fixed the position rotated.  I'm considering a boomkicker and would want it fixed going forward and an inspection will dictate my next step.  Good to know that if original, it should rotate.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

lazybone

My gooseneck rusted /seized up about 15 min. after I bought the boat new.  I've tried to beat the ?,*/=-$# and  persuade it to cooperate but no go.  Luckily, I stopped before I screwed it up.  It doesn't need to rotate.  Been fine seized up for ≈30 yrs.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Bill Shreeves

yeah, mine is seized etc, about 15 degrees clockwise from vertical

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Ron Hill

Bill : What you are facing is dissimilar metal corrosion (stainless pin rotating in an aluminum casting!!)

I believe a new casting and pin is the only solution, but the new items need to be disassembled & greased or they will eventually seize up like what you have now!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Bill Shreeves

As mentioned earlier, I'll be pulling the boom off the boat and removing the gooseneck for inspection and likely replacement.  I kinda figure on removing the outhaul and inspecting as well.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Mark Sutherland

I would order a new gooseneck assembly from Cat.Direct.  Their new unit mitigates the weak cotter pin issue with strong SS pin.  Lube the assembly with lanocoat before installing.  This should make future removal easy.  You might also want to replace the outhaul while the boom is open, if your existing one is original and poorly functioning or the lines are in bad shape.  The outhaul for the Cat.30' will work.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170