Stainless or Glavanized Wire Clamps Edson Steering Wire

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

QuoteGuys : What is a "wire clamp" ?

If you want to sound like you have used them before call them "Crosby clamps".  Installation instruction "never saddle a dead horse".  ie Don't put the threaded U-part on the load side of the cable.  Also if you do use Harbor Freight stainless hardware, check with a magnet.  If it is attracted to the magnet it's not a highly corrosion resistant stainless.  Would work fine just would corrode quicker.
Just my 2-cents.
Jim 
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

For a couple of $$ more, why would you not order them from Edson.   I don't think I would be going to HF or my local hardware store for an essential part.
Two more cents worth.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on January 16, 2017, 04:10:56 PM
Installation instruction "never saddle a dead horse".  ie Don't put the threaded U-part on the load side of the cable. 

Good reminder Jim. 
Also, if the threads fail when torquing, don't necessarily blame the fastener or supplier -- make sure to use a little anti-seize to avoid galling on any stainless-to-stainless threads, which is especially an issue with stainless fasteners.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Joyride

FYI I did talk to someone at Edson and they confirmed the stainless wire rope clamps are the same type / size as are available from Seafit.  I installed and all set. 

One of the u-bolts broke off one of the old galvanized clamps when I was trying to get one the the nuts off. Just an FYI.
1991 Catalina 34 (mk 1.5) Universal M35 Wing Keel