electrical system overview

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

I spent most of the night until the early morning hours reading again through the electrical tech notes and the tech wiki. I know I've already said this but once again I want to thank you all for the hard work you have put into compiling all this information.

Jon,

What a great write up, schematic and parts list. Your system is so close to what I'm looking to do I feel like I could almost order what I need right off of your list.

Stu,

Thank you so much for the link about the dual circuit switch. The add a battery kit came still in the package with the boat and I never really thought about the downside of what would happen if my house bank went down and I switched to "combine". I tended to think that if my reserve battery went down I could use the house bank which doesn't make any sense. The loads are on the house side so if I get forgetful or a little spendy on my electrical budget I'm going to pull down the house side down not the reserve. Duh. Thanks again from saving me from making a big mistake.

Having the boat on the hard and under shrink wrap here in northern Michigan is such a pain. My dining room is starting to look like a West Marine store with all of the goodies laying around. Sure could use a break in the weather so I can get back on board and get to work.

Ken,

When I get closer to getting started on this project I'll drop you an email for supplies. The winches still look great, unfortunately they are still sitting on my dining room table.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

mainesail

Quote from: Jon W on January 15, 2017, 10:35:46 PM
Forgot about crimping tools.

For 10 AWG and smaller wire I purchased a racheting crimper from Ken Kloeber. For 8 to 1 AWG I purchased a Greenlee K series from Zoro.com.

Jon,

I am confused as to why you would opt for the Greenlee KO5 1GL, which is usually $200.00 or more, over the FTZ battery lug crimp tool. I know of no better value out there than the FTZ 94284 tool. It is as close as it comes to the genuine gold standard AMP Rota-Crimp tools, but cost about 12X as much as the FTZ. The FTZ also does 6GA to 4/0.... More range, stronger crimps and for less money..

Guys also please be aware that the Chinese have knocked off the Greenlee K series tools and the dies are grossly mismarked and incorrect. They are often sold as the genuine Greenlee, same color and everything, when they are not a real Greenlee.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

Ed,

Let me back up a bit.  Don't get me wrong, Ancor terminals are ok -- you won't go wrong if you use them.  They're not "inferior" per-se, I just think that they are very marginally inferior to the FTZ terminals.  And my distributor charges more, by far, WHOLESALE for the Ancor, then I can offer the FTZ much more reasonably RETAIL.  Plus Ancor doesn't offer power lugs, and its starter lugs are definitely lower quality (JTSO) than FTZ's.  So I see no reason to even think about using Ancor.  Paying over $1 each online (10-12 x #8 rings) is highway robbery.

Now, ancor wire and pacer, etc., wire all meet the same UL standard, and they are comparable.  However I just personally like Ancor better (I think it may be insulation is ever so slightly more flexible -- I can't put my finger on it.)  So, I use Ancor wire nearly exclusively *(unfortunately there's some very common ABYC color standards that Ancor simply (stupidly?) doesn't manufacture.)  I've bitched about that but it's onto deaf ears.

Just shoot me an email when you know.

cheers
ken

Quote from: Ekutney on January 16, 2017, 01:32:03 PM
Ken,

I am starting to put together a list of items I will need for my rewire project, I will contact you when I have it together. I was under the impression Ancor was the way to go, was not aware FTZ brand were better.  What about the Ancor wire, I already purchased most of what I need but it can always be returned, unless it has been too long.  I'll check & let you know.  I might also be in the market for a crimping tool for smaller wires, say #10 & below.  So much for the buying frenzy of a new owner.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Mas tequila - Thanks for the feedback. My goal was to put a complete project plan together to help the next person. There's also a link in the write up to a posting with more detail.

Mainesail - In July I posted looking for suggestions on a tool to crimp 8 AWG to 1 AWG. The FTZ, Roto Crimp, and Greenlee k05 were recommended. The Roto Crimp cost too much for a occasional user, the FTZ didn't crimp 8 AWG, so I went with Greenlee. The tool is stamped made in Germany, and has worked great.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Ed,  follow up.

I see that Ancor has again changed it's AHS terminal crimper.  They went from the prior type that looks like the 22-10 awg FTZ model that MaineSail has, to a multi-die "ergonomic" model w/ increased leverage.  Maybe Rod will see this and chime in w/ thoughts?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain