electrical system overview

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

I wanted to review our electrical system with you all and see if any of you have any input. The PO had started to do some upgrades but never finished the project. Everything is working fine but we are looking to finish it up with the goal of being able to spend extended time cruising and on a hook if we wish.

The PO had just installed a new Aquamaax 120 amp alternator, a serpentine drive and a Balmar MC 614 regulator. There also is a new Balmar smart gauge installed but not yet wired. A custom built battery box to fit 4 GC2 batteries under the settee just forward of the sink was installed. There were only 2 GC2 house batteries installed and the start battery was also in this box. The battery charger soon gave up the ghost after our purchase and I installed a Genius 20 amp charger I had laying around temporarily. A new Balmar add a battery switch and ACR are new and still in the package which I will be adding this spring. The alternator also appears to be run to the positive lead on the starter.

So here is the plan. We will be installing 4 new 6 volt 230AH Duracell lead acid batteries which have the GC2 footprint in the battery box. Relocating the start battery, most likely under the aft berth. Install the new battery switch and ACR as well as a new Sterling Pro Charge Ultra 50 amp charger which is new in the box sitting on my kitchen counter. (Thanks Main Sail). Rewire the alternator and Pro Charge directly to the house bank. I have a close friend who's home is completely off the electrical grid using solar here in northern Michigan and have been picking his brain on designing a system for us. This isn't set in stone yet but we are leaning toward a 340 watt solar panel mounted on the davits and run through a Midnite Solar 30 amp MPPT charge controller, the marine version. All of the lighting fixtures in the boat are being replaced with LED which again are sitting in a box. We will be changing all of the nav lights to LED as well.

I do have a couple of questions I could use your help with. I'm wondering where to install the Pro Charger and ACR. I'm thinking under the nav station and running the charge wiring to the house battery side of the battery switch and the ACR charge wiring to the start battery, again at the battery switch. I also want to install a terminal fuse block on the positive terminal of the house bank but I'm not sure what amperage it should be. Ideas?

Anyway I'd love to hear any ideas you all might have with our plan and if you see anywhere that I need to rethink the plan.

Thanks in advance.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

DaveBMusik

340 watts of solar sitting on the davits seems big to me. Make sure you still egress of the stern using your ladder!
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Jon W

Don't forget to check that the wire/cable sizes are big enough to minimize voltage drop in the complete system.

Last year I did an electrical upgrade similar to what you're describing on my 1987 (without Solar). There's a write up of my project with photos and schematic in the Tech WIKI if interested.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Mas Tequila

Dave,

Our davit system is rather unique and I haven't seen one like it anywhere online, sorry I don't have pictures of it and there is no manufactures name on it. The cross bars that go between them are pretty far aft but we were going to make a cardboard mock-up before ordering the panel just to make sure it fits the way we would like. Installing the panel on the bimini is another thought but we haven't decided exactly what we are ultimately going to do. I swear my friend that is the solar guru would hang a nuclear power plant off the back of the boat if I let him. I would like to go as big as I can mostly to run the refrigeration (not yet installed).

Jon,

If I remember correctly Blue Sea has a guide on their sight that lists the proper wire sizes. We will be only using marine grade wire and connectors throughout this project as well. The one thing I'd like to find is a good crimping tool for the cables. Main Sail covers the subject of crimping tools but I need something a bit more affordable but will still do a quality job. I figure I'll be making up a number of cables along the way because I can't stand wiring that looks like a mess of spaghetti.

Any thoughts on the correct size fusing for the house batteries?

Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Noah

You really should study Jon's wiring diagram or mine or others on the site. They all list the fusing info.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Mas Tequila

Thanks Noah,

I'll go back through it and take a closer look. I've read a lot of the electrical 101 and as I posted on another thread it's a gold mine. There is so much information there it can be easy to overlook something when I'm focusing on looking up a specific topic.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Jon W

I used a 250A mrbf fuse on the house bank and reserve battery. I had a long thread going at the time to  address this and many other questions. There should be a link to it in my write-up.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Here is a link to an old posting of my wiring diagram. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4546.msg56771.html#msg56771
Standard Rig

Ekutney

Mas,

I also will be starting my rewire project in the next few months & am in the process of reviewing the material on this site.  Jon W has an excellent write up & I followed his post on this forum, great reading material & a very detailed listing of everything he used.  I also purchased a 40 amp Sterling battery charger from Mainsail & mounted it under the Nav Station, have yet to install & mount the remote for it.  I followed the pics Jon W had for the mounting location & used Weld Mounts because my Nav locker has an AC unit making getting a through bolt difficult.  I am going to make a detailed plan then execute using the info/advice posted on this site very closely.  I am lucky that the company I work for has the large crimping tools that I will borrow, plan to make the cables myself after I measure twice so I only have to cut once.  I have already purchased the Ancor wire & connectors from Amazon, not cheap but the best price found.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Jon W

Forgot about crimping tools.

For 10 AWG and smaller wire I purchased a racheting crimper from Ken Kloeber. For 8 to 1 AWG I purchased a Greenlee K series from Zoro.com.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mas Tequila on January 15, 2017, 12:28:15 PM

A new Balmar add a battery switch and ACR are new and still in the package which I will be adding this spring. ............................

Rewire the alternator and Pro Charge directly to the house bank.  ............

I'm wondering where to install the Pro Charger and ACR. I'm thinking under the nav station and running the charge wiring to the house battery side of the battery switch and the ACR charge wiring to the start battery, again at the battery switch.

Thanks for the kind words on the other thread.

I haven't ever heard of a Balmar add-a-battery switch, only a Blue Sea one.  You may have seen this:

AGM Battery Issues and the Blue Seas Dual Circuit Switch (from Maine Sail) "DARN AGM Batteries"
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=848465&highlight=darn%20agm

The DCP switch is not very good for sailboats, especially how you're planning to set up your battery banks.

Don't forget to run the regulator sense wire to the house bank.

I put my combiner on the starboard side just forward of the galley and connected directly to the PDP of the house bank and ran a wire to the reserve bank.  While your suggestion is essentially the same place electrically (i.e., different ends of the same wire), I'm not sure I will ever understand the repeated fascination of connecting ACRs  combiners to the back of the switches (you're not the first one who asked :D).  If you put it on the starboard sde, your house bank is right there and all you have to do is run a single wire aft to your reserve bank.  Plus, there is more available "real estate" over on the starboard side, while port side has all that wiring running up & down.  :D

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mas Tequila

Thank you Stu,

You are right the add-a-battery is a Blue Sea. Apparently I wasn't paying attention to my typing. The reason I posted this was to see if any of you find anything that stands out as a major error in our planning. I like the idea of installing the ACR on the starboard side which makes more sense and it's out of the way. The PO included all of the manuals for the alternator and regulator and I have looked them over but I will be reviewing them carefully. One thing I'm not comfortable with is the regulator was installed just under the top step which doesn't protect it very well from water that can drip down the steps. I was thinking I would relocate it inside the access door in the head.

When I installed the new VHF and stereo I did see a couple of wire nuts behind the panel and some spade connectors. I will be replacing the spade connectors with ring terminals and remove any wire nuts. 

I really want to thank all of you that have gone to such trouble writing all of the articles on our boat systems. What a fantastic resource and I do reference them often. Sometimes I get lost in all the information and all of the great ideas.   
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber

I have already purchased the Ancor wire & connectors from Amazon, not cheap but the best price found.

Guys!  I love to save you money, but I can't unless you email me offline for anything electrical. 
You pay through the nostril for Ancor terminals online and besides, Ancor terminals are inferior to FTZ brand anyway.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Mas- my Balmer 614 regulator is installed on the head/sink door screwed directly ON the inside surface of the wood door.
Standard Rig

Ekutney

Ken,

I am starting to put together a list of items I will need for my rewire project, I will contact you when I have it together. I was under the impression Ancor was the way to go, was not aware FTZ brand were better.  What about the Ancor wire, I already purchased most of what I need but it can always be returned, unless it has been too long.  I'll check & let you know.  I might also be in the market for a crimping tool for smaller wires, say #10 & below.  So much for the buying frenzy of a new owner.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke