Solar charger without controller

Previous topic - Next topic

NewToTheRoad

Hey guys,
  Boat is stock with no battery charger other than the alternator.  She will be kept on a mooring 100% of the time so I obviously need something to keep the batteries charged.  Currently I have just 2 that appear to be 75AH each.  What do you think of this charger, which appears to require no controller based on my batteries being above 50AH?

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Charger-Regulating-experience-Dimensions/dp/B0046DSLFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1484157254&sr=1-1&keywords=duravolt

note:  This will be an interim solution.  In the next year or two I will probably look to add battery capacity (at least a dedicated  starter but maybe golf cart route) increased solar panel, charge controller, etc. 

Also, current 12v needs are just some small instruments, vhf, toilet, bilge pump, and LED lighting.  No refrig or AC.

Thanks!

Bryan
Lori & Bryan
1988 C34, M25XP, Std Rig, Fin Keel - Hull # 697
Portsmouth, RI

Noah

Did you say you have an electric toilet? If that is the case, based upon your current electrical situation, I would suggest you eliminate that "power consumer" as part of your early changes.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

NewToTheRoad

Yes, and it looks to have been there for some time.  I also have a 2nd head - aka 5 gal Lowes bucket..
Lori & Bryan
Portsmouth, RI

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

NewToTheRoad

Thanks Stu.  Definitely a lot to consider.  To be clear, phase 1 is just an interim plan.  This product though might be a better option as it is cheaper, and has a built in controller:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q820TQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2STGU6C1MQNB5&coliid=I3SM4JIZG5MXCS&psc=1

My current 2 batteries are of an undetermined age so I really don't think I have much to lose. 

Lori & Bryan
Portsmouth, RI

Rick Roberts

You could also invest a few $$ more and get one of those 100 watts semi-flexible solar panel for $175 USD + a $35 controller for now.
https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrystalline-Lightweight-Solar-Panel/dp/B017OMTAV6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1484211785&sr=8-4&keywords=hqst+solar+panel
http://www.hqsolarpower.com/HQST-100-Watt-Monocrystalline-Flexible-Solar-p/hqst-100db.htm

Could easily expend your system later and they are easy to store under a cushion when you don't need them.
1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

NewToTheRoad

Thanks Rick.  I am really ignorant on a lot of the electrical stuff.  In going with this higher wattage (100+) would that mean that my 2 batteries would come up to charge much quicker than the lower wattage one (e.g. 15W).  That would be beneficial when I do overnights.

Also, is there a specific, cheaper controller that you would recommend?

Bryan
Lori & Bryan
Portsmouth, RI

Stu Jackson

Quote from: NewToTheRoad on January 12, 2017, 08:48:20 AM
I am really ignorant on a lot of the electrical stuff.

Bryan,

None of us was born an electrician.   :D

That's one reason I put together the Electrical Systems 101 Topic.

If you spend an hour a day on it, you can get up to speed pretty quickly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

lazybone

He just wants a quick answer.  Who's gonna throw him a bone?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

sailaway

The size of the solar charger really doesn't really matter. If you continue to charge the batt when it is fully charged you will boil it dry or ruin the batt. But if your bilge pump runs some then it will keep the voltage down. Charlie

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailaway on January 12, 2017, 07:12:24 PM
1.  The size of the solar charger really doesn't really matter.

2.  If you continue to charge the batt when it is fully charged you will boil it dry or ruin the batt.

3. But if your bilge pump runs some then it will keep the voltage down. Charlie

1.  A larger panel will provide more amperage.

2.  It will without a controller, which is why one is recommended.  Please see my earlier link.

3.  Immaterial.

Mas Tequila

Let me first point out that I am by no means an marine electrical guru. We have been looking at doing a complete electrical upgrade on our boat with the idea of being able to spend extended time cruising and on the hook. The PO had started doing a number of upgrades including a high output alternator and regulator but had not finished the project. There are still a number of parts that are still new in the box that we will install in the spring.

With that said I really was having trouble understanding just what we had on hand and what we were going to need to customize our system for future needs. I took Stu's advise and poured over the electrical 101 articles on this site and can say without a doubt that is a gold mine of information. If anything you might suffer a bit from information overload but if you have a question about our electrical systems you will find an answer there.

I do understand wanting to save money and sometimes it can be hard to define the lines between a band aid, good enough and over kill. If I were in your place I would go with Rick's advice. For only about 20% more money you would be looking at 6 times the power generation compared to the first system you listed. That gives you a whole lot more wiggle room for very little investment.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

NewToTheRoad

Thanks guys for all of the replies.  Yes I was hoping for a quick answer and yes I should spend "more" time in 101.  I knew that I saw something, somewhere on this site, and have dabbled in 101 periodically.   But it looks to be a treasure trove of info.  Thanks for the further direction Stu.  The volume of info can be daunting and certainly useful when I do the full upgrade.  What I did find was some good tips on small panels and controllers, that I did not find via the search feature.

Being a newbie, I don't know what I don't know.  Not having even a full season on her yet I don't know what our power needs will be.  I do know that she will be on a mooring and minimally we will be doing frequent day sailing.  I do know that I need to insure the bilge works when unattended and that I can start the engine when I need to.

So, I think my plan will be to be smart, follow everyone's advice, and go with a simple controller until I get a better feel for our needs.

Lori & Bryan
Portsmouth, RI

Stu Jackson

Quote from: NewToTheRoad on January 13, 2017, 01:32:36 PM
Being a newbie, I don't know what I don't know.  Not having even a full season on her yet I don't know what our power needs will be. 

newt,

You can get a very good handle on it from this post, the very first one in Elec 101:

The All-Important Energy Budget:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3976.0.html

Budgets are estimates, but they will put you in the ballpark.  Your solar idea for your situation makes a lot of sense.

Footloose

With a an electrical budget, you are telling the electrons where to go, not wondering where they went.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain