Prop shaft locking nuts

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike McDonald

Does anyone know where to purchase the locking nuts at the end of the prop shaft, aft of the prop. I only have one nut and a cotter pin. I believe I have the thicker of the two nuts. I know it is a 1" shaft, but don't know the nut/thread size, or where to find them. I don't see them on Catalina Direct.
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

Mike : Contact any prop shop or prop company and ask them for a replacement nut for a 1" shaft - it's standard. 

We ( also a C36 & C30 & C28)  all only have one castellated nut for a cotter pin - that's normal.  The only place on that prop shaft that has a second locking nut is at the stuffing box. 
With a castellated nut and cotter pin there is no need for a jam/locking 2nd nut.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Just to add my 2 cents.  The nut and cotter pin should be similar material to the shaft.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

patrice

Hi,
There are 2 type thread per diameter.  Coarse or fine thread.
But as mention, if you have a nut with a pin, you don't need a jam nut (2nd nut).
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jim Hardesty

The normal thread size is 3/4 * 10.  FWIW  If you use 2 nuts the thin nut goes first, to full torque.  The thicker nut goes last, again to full torque.  That's by the book.  A lot of mechanics will do it the other way and don't seem to have problems.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Craig Illman

KWKloeber

If you're going to start getting technical............

For some information overload ........  here's WHY the jam nut should be used first, followed by the thick nut..
http://www.boltscience.com/pages/twonuts.htm

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ekutney

The following is a picture of the setup of the propeller on my C34, the PO says this is the way it has been for over 27 years.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Mike McDonald

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback, I really appreciate it. I hope to get out to the boat this week to check the stands, so I'll double check my shaft nut configuration. I thought I had taken some photos in the fall, but can't seem to find them. Thanks again!
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario

Noah

Ed- We're the two zinc shaft collars also the PO's way of doing things?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ekutney

Noah,

It originally had two zincs on the shaft so when I replaced them I did the same, I asked the yard where the boat was hauled and some others at local Marine supply, what I got what it might be overkill but wouldn't hurt.  I searched for info on this forum & found nothing negative.  Why do you ask?

BTW, when I had the boat hauled for the survey I was told the nuts were backwards, as was stated on this forum the small nut should got on first.  I forgot to reverse them when the boat was hauled, had it written down but it was overlooked because other items took priority.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Noah

Ed- i have just never seen two zincs on the shaft at once. I don't know if it is "wrong"... Just curious. It may be a "fine" belt and suspenders approach?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : Most people that attach 2 shaft Zns do it to prevent one Zn from eroding at the thin thru bolt hole collors and falling off the shaft.   
That way there would be at least one Zn.  I have never done that.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ekutney

At least somebody else has heard using 2 Zncs on the shaft, I feel better.  Thanks Ron.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

patrice

Hi,

I also have 2 of them.
simple reason, when I got the boat, the zinc was halfway gone, so before splashing, I added a new one beside it, not knowing how long it would last.
So every spring I check the erosion of them, and when the older one get to eroded, I replace it.  Is it overkill, yes.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~