Mki and Mkii

Previous topic - Next topic

JKA

Hello everyone, I have a question for ya, I will soon be in the market for a Cat34 and I will be looking for either a Mki or Mkii can someone tell me the years of production of the two? I am assuming that both are the second gen boats with the open transom? also what are the changes of the two?
Thanks so much James

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

JKA

Wow that is what I needed it was right under my nose the whole time! Thanks so much Noah!  :clap

Ron Hill

Guys : I tried to edit that page, but no luck.  There are a bunch of errors:
1. C34 designed by Gerry Douglas
2. Only the 1st year (1986) had the option of a keel or deck stepped mast
3. There also was an M35 engine option (30 hp) in 1990-1994
4. The MkII has an M35BC engine (35hp)
5. The MkII was officially rolled out at the 1995 Atlantic City Sail Expo Boat Show, Hull #1295
6. There are 4 different hull designs

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

There is a little fact fuzziness on the dates for the Mk 1.25 -1.5 as well. I have a 1990 "sugar scoop" --hull 1014.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

JKA

Thanks for posting the errors !

KWKloeber

Ron
I don't know............ your corrections seemed to "have taken."
http://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Evolution_of_the_Catalina_34

do you see anything else?  :?:
-kk

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 05, 2017, 02:39:28 PM
Guys : I tried to edit that page, but no luck.  There are a bunch of errors:
1. C34 designed by Gerry Douglas
2. Only the 1st year (1986) had the option of a keel or deck stepped mast
3. There also was an M35 engine option (30 hp) in 1990-1994
4. The MkII has an M35BC engine (35hp)
5. The MkII was officially rolled out at the 1995 Atlantic City Sail Expo Boat Show, Hull #1295
6. There are 4 different hull designs

A few thoughts
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Juul

According to the lines drawing I got from Catalina, the MK1 was designed by Frank not Gerry.  Gerry may have done the MK2.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : I've been in seminars & lectures where Frank introduced Gerry as the C34 designer.  Just make it Frank/Gerry - Catalina President / Vice President, designed the C34.  Frank always took credit for the Catalina 22.

Noah : Back in those days (early 1990s) The new model Catalinas were first shown at the Annapolis Sail Boat Show (around the 1st week in October).  My notes show that the 1990 standard C34 came with a suger-scoop transom, but there was a option for +$$ also to get a walkthrough transom when you ordered your boat - that walk thru then became standard in 1991. 
As I recall the 1990 boat show featured the walk thru transom.

BTW 1990, I believe that was the same year that O'Day came out with the O'Day 35 - which was really an O'Day 34!! with a sugar -scoop transom.  Boat makers trading ideas??  don't know??

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 06, 2017, 07:49:58 AM
Ken : I've been in seminars & lectures where Frank introduced Gerry as the C34 designer.  Just make it Frank/Gerry - Catalina President / Vice President, designed the C34.  Frank always took credit for the Catalina 22.

Noah : Back in those days (early 1990s) The new model Catalinas were first shown at the Annapolis Sail Boat Show (around the 1st week in October).  My notes show that the 1990 standard C34 came with a suger-scoop transom, but there was a option for +$$ also to get a walkthrough transom when you ordered your boat - that walk thru then became standard in 1991. 
As I recall the 1990 boat show featured the walk thru transom.

BTW 1990, I believe that was the same year that O'Day came out with the O'Day 35 - which was really an O'Day 34!! with a sugar -scoop transom.  Boat makers trading ideas??  don't know??

a few thoughts

I remember the O'day bankruptcy liquidation sale in the winter of 1989.  But yes the hull was a direct copy of the 34.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677