Dining table lighting

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

In my project list is 'Install Cabin Dinning Table lighting'

I'm thinking of adding an LED overhead light mounted on the deckhead above the dinning table - don't want to go to a swinging oil lantern  :D

My plan is to run a strip of teak or starboard on the underside of the 'beam' that is the width of the cabin abeam the mast. Then down to the side teak rail and then to cabin lighting supply.

I presume that the 'beam' is solid and so the only option is to surface mount the wires???

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Quote from: Noah on January 01, 2017, 06:09:28 PM
Paul- see photos/post of my approach.
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8195.msg57366/topicseen.html#msg57366

Very nice Noah! I really like the way the teak looks in that configuration, although not my favorite material. I could follow the concept but use Starboard.

So I may make a 'box' for the lamp, whichever I choose, and include a USB outlet there too. $$$ are over my budget for the project (I'm on a considerable fiscal moratorium this year after blowing the budget big time last year  :?  ) But your concept has given me some good pointers.

Thanks.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Mark Sutherland

Brit, if you want a cheap, but effective alternative while you replenish your budget, I hung a 500 lumen Coleman LED lantern from the existing lantern ring.  It lights up the whole cabin bright enough to read at night.  I tether it to the mast while underway.  I went 2 seasons on one set of batteries.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Noah

Mark- yours is kind of a new school take on an old school swinging oil lamp. I like it!  Paul- Apparently I am dying breed who loves my teak--oiled on the inside and varnished on deck. In my lighting solution I sought out the teak Alpenglow lights not only for looks but for function. They light up my entire main salon and feature a high/low in both white and red. I routed out an off-the-shelf teak batten material, adding a channel for a wire raceway. The teak sections between the lights and the hatch are strictly for cosmetics and balance, to complete the teak arch/beam look.
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI hung a 500 lumen Coleman LED lantern from the existing lantern ring.  It lights up the whole cabin bright enough to read at night.

For some options on the coleman type lantern type check out
https://www.dorcy.com/
Lots of good flashlights and lanterns. I have used them for years and not been disappointed. Check the "send me specials" button at the bottom of the page for even better deals.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

patrice

Hi,
I went the same way as the batteries type lamp.
Over the sink, I put an led strip.  Still going with the batteries.
And also a small lantern type by coleman hanging from the "handles"(forgot the word) when go down the step can be easily turn on.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Mark Sutherland

Noah, your light installation above the dinette is really nicely done.  I love the RED option also.  Jim, I noticed Dorcy has a 950 lumen lantern which, based on my experience with my 500 lumen, should be almost enough to blind you!  I rarely turn the dimmer switch to 500 on my lantern, it's generally just too bright.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

britinusa

This project has grown a bit - how unusual!

Now includes:

• Over Cabin Table Light Red/White with USB outlet
  • Over Galley light Red/White
  • Over Cockpit Table Light Red/White

We have several Battery Powered Puck type lights around, but I try to keep them for if ever the power goes out. (Also found that putting a dab of dielectric grease on the battery terminals of those lamps extends their life)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on January 04, 2017, 07:03:44 AM

• Over Cabin Table Light Red/White with USB outlet

Not sure I understand the application of USB outlets on lights above the saloon table.  Based on my lights and Noah's, wouldn't the wires just be hanging down?  I use a USB at the nav station.  I'd think there might be better places for a USB outlet.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

Yep, wire could hang from the deck head light fixture's USB outlet.

Then I could use my tablet at the cabin table and not worry about the tablet's battery. (no wires drapped across the aisle from the nav table.  :D)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Noah

It would be disingenuous to say I am not techo tethered (with a zillion $ of B&G nav gear, iPhone, iPad, etc.) but...wires hanging from the headliner? Other options may be to put your USB plug at the settee bench "bulkhead" direct to the battery box? Or, while on shore power, or underway or at anchor, if you have an inverter, just plug into the 110 outlet in the galley? As Stu says..."your boat, your choice." PS --I do have parallel rules, dividers, charts, a sextant, and moldy sight reduction tables, for Armageddon, when all else fails. But haven't used the sextant in 25 years...LOL!
Standard Rig

Bobg

I like your lights, may do the same thing, I get the impression some think the usb wires always hang down from the ceiling, I am sure that is not the case, wires only hang down when used to charge or use your electronics.  Currently I have usb ports above the nav station, would be nice to have them other places as the nav station really gets cluttered with phones, ipods, ipads, ect when a bunch of people are on board, would be nice to tell them to move some stuff to the salon table and use the usb ports from the ceiling lights, also I think the nice lights Paul installed simply had the usb ports as a added benifit.  Well done Paul
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Noah

Bob- I don't believe Paul has installed anything yet. Hence all of our suggestions.
Standard Rig