Wood trim piece?

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Jim

Above the portholes on the either side of the boat there is a skinny and loooong piece of wood trim. Do they sell that thingy? It's so worn-out, I don't know if it's worth to work on it?
Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

Stu Jackson

Jim, do a search on "eyebrows" which is what we've taken to calling them.  There are many different solutions.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Capt.Jim on December 26, 2016, 01:07:04 PM
Above the portholes on the either side of the boat there is a skinny and loooong piece of wood trim. Do they sell that thingy? It's so worn-out, I don't know if it's worth to work on it?

Do a search on teak and Cesar - he could probably replace them if you want to go that route.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

sailaway

Jim  A lot of people just take the eyebrow off and replace it with a decal strip. My buddy bought a plastic chrome strip from a body shop supplier comes in 50 ft rolls with adhesive on one side. I am thinking about brown to match my boat. You have to fill the holes and prepare the surface
Charlie

Ekutney

I removed mine & finished them but not sure if I really want to reinstall them.  They seem to serve no purpose except cosmetics.  BTW, even though they were really worn I sanded them, wiped them down with mineral spirits then applied 4 coats of Marine Cetol.  They cleaned up very well.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ron Hill

Guys : repeat of an older post --- I've got two of the  Teak "eyebrows" that are refinished and hanging in my attic that I'll give away.  I live about 1.5 miles off of I-95 in Fredericksburg Va. 

Any takers?
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Sutherland

I did the striping tape like Sailaway, and I like the look a lot better.  One warning; some detailers like to use acetone to preclean the gel coat before buffing and waxing.  The acetone will ruin the striping tape.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

patrice

Hi.
I like the idea of the strip decal.
I was also thinking of taking them of, but was sure not to be able to match gelcoat finish when filling the holes.
I would fill the holes and put a blue strip.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Steve McGill

Like many I removed the teak trim.

I filled the holes, when your are two feet away you do not see where the holes were and after 2 weeks
I did not recall the teak trim ever being there.

My 2ยข

Steve

CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Ekutney

Can anyone provide a brand of striping tape, the color I'd be looking for is a burgundy.  My UV panel on the jib, stack pack, Bimini & winch covers are all Sunbrella dubonnet tweed which is a mix of black & burgundy.  Thoughts? I like the idea of replacing the teak piece with a colored stripe or maybe nothing..
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

patrice

Hi
I was thinking of stopping by a car part's store or body shop.
They should have something that wiuld do the job.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jim Hardesty

Auto paint stores can probably match any tape you want.  When there you can get a list of people that specialize in pin striping. May be a case to pay someone that's done a lot of pin striping than to try to learn it yourself.  There is a skill to doing it.  Need to get it straight without stretching it much. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : When I removed my eyebrow strips, I filled the holes with a # 4 flat head screw and finishing washer.  Don't forget calk on the screw hole. 
Never missed those strips and other c34 owners didn't even notice that I had removed them!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ed,

You could also fill, sand flush, run some masking tape and paint a stripe w enamel that might stand up to solvents and UV better than detailing tape.    Most auto parts, walmart, amazon carry detailing tape.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain