Transmission Replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Ken- I am not a chemist, but I thought Imron (Dupont) was an LP (linear polyurethane) not an epoxy. What is the difference between the two? After I stripped the rigging, my aluminum spars were prepped and LP sprayed, without a lot of "drama" 2-years ago by the same yard that I have used to LP paint fiberglas hulls, aluminum hulls and aluminum spars, since the early 1980's. To do my mast and boom was not cheap however--$60 per lineal foot. But they are beautiful and should last 10+ years.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

I don't -- I haven't used it. 

But I doubt the primer comes in different sheens, however the RO website has pretty good into and I have emailed them thru the website re: another  question -- with a fairly quick reply.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Maybe you're right Noah -- possibly it Imron, although Imron is what they used in their own manufacturing process. 

Also, we added a little flattener to cut the gloss slightly, and I'm unsure if that would have been compatible with epoxy paint.

Or I may be mistaken that it was 2-part!   

CRS -- it was ~ 18 years ago!

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Noah on January 30, 2017, 08:30:22 PM
Ken- I am not a chemist, but I thought Imron (Dupont) was an LP (linear polyurethane) not an epoxy. What is the difference between the two? After I stripped the rigging, my aluminum spars were prepped and LP sprayed, without a lot of "drama" 2-years ago by the same yard that I have used to LP paint fiberglas hulls, aluminum hulls and aluminum spars, since the early 1980's. To do my mast and boom was not cheap however--$6 per lineal foot. But they are beautiful and should last 10+ years.

You are correct, Imron is a 2-part LP paint.  It's popular on airplanes.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

KWKloeber

Thanks for clarifying Ted.  I recalled it was 2-part, mistaken on my part that it was epoxy!  ( CRS from that many years ago  :D )

ken

Quote from: Ted Pounds on February 04, 2017, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: Noah on January 30, 2017, 08:30:22 PM
Ken- I am not a chemist, but I thought Imron (Dupont) was an LP (linear polyurethane) not an epoxy. What is the difference between the two? After I stripped the rigging, my aluminum spars were prepped and LP sprayed, without a lot of "drama" 2-years ago by the same yard that I have used to LP paint fiberglas hulls, aluminum hulls and aluminum spars, since the early 1980's. To do my mast and boom was not cheap however--$6 per lineal foot. But they are beautiful and should last 10+ years.

You are correct, Imron is a 2-part LP paint.  It's popular on airplanes.

Ted Pounds

What does CRS stand for?  I used to know but I forgot...   :donno: :think
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Krawford

"Can't Remember Squat"   :D

Quote from: Ted Pounds on February 06, 2017, 05:23:40 PM
What does CRS stand for?  I used to know but I forgot...   :donno: :think
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B