Dressing up the coaming

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

Over the years there have been a number of fittings that have been installed and removed on our coaming, bimini deck mounts, cleats, etc. They have been repaired with what looks like thickened epoxy in some spots and marine tex in others. While there isn't any problem with the structure all the repairs are rather ugly as they don't match the non-skid or the color. We are thinking about just covering them up with possibly teak deck steps or possibly something like SeaDek. Have any of you done something like this and if so what would you recommend?

We would love to hear your ideas.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Ted Pounds

I put PlasDeck, http://www.plasdeck.com/marine-deck-products/plasdeck-colors?gclid=CJv46qid-dACFUSewAodRr8Ptg, on my Gloucester 19.  It's fairly easy to DIY and I think it might work for you application.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

KWKloeber

K,

You might also try talking with Spectrum Color who (at leased used to) carry the oem color gel paste repair kits for most years of Catalinas.  Drill out just a little and fill/wet sand the repair flush.

K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Mas : I had the same problem on another boat and here's what I did:

I took a 7/16" forster drill bit and counter sunk the hole 1/16" deep.  Put some 3M5200 on the bottom of a 25 cent piece and tapped it in to that hole.   I then had a "Quarter Deck" !!!!  :D

and on the opposite side coaming, I did the same with a 50 cent piece - so I also had a "2 bit deck"
!!!   :appl

Really true and was a conversation item!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I put a Canadian LOONIE under my mast step!   :thumb:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

Quote from: Stu Jackson on December 16, 2016, 01:54:39 PM
I put a Canadian LOONIE under my mast step!   :thumb:

My sons in-laws are Canadian.  There're all loonies.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677