I've just bought a 1987 Catalina 34 !!!

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Jim

My offer accepted today...I guess I'll never learn!  :?  Currently own a commercial 60ft powerboat and like if it wasn't enough...
Oh well! Life is short! I decided to play the game fully!

This poor boat though, needs a lot of TLC and serious fixing but nothing is impossible.  ;)

_ It has the dreaded Catalina smile,
_ Bottom was neglected nearly 5 years at its slip and we scraped over a thousand lbs of growth,
_ M25XP Needs servicing (runs ok though)
_ Sails are at 50% of their life,
_ It doesn't have VHF radio, GPS/Chartplotter, Autopilot, Radar, Dodger... So I will be adding those...

But after all of that it could be a nice man cave for this poor soul...

I'll be digging your brains a lot... So don't claim I didn't warn you guys in advance!

Oh, I'll be sailing from Monterey Bay area...

Hello to all of you ! :thumb:
Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Congratulations.  Just want to mention a help to the group is be adding your boat details to your signature.  Year, hull number, engine, rig, you can see what others have done.  It helps with getting the right answer.
Welcome to the group.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ekutney

Congrats... You are where I was almost 1 year ago.  The major difference was the boat I bought was not neglected, just no major upgrades done so everything was almost 30 yards old.  I have done a number of "projects" & found this site to be invaluable.  The knowledge base has given me answers to almost all of the questions I had.  After many months of crawling around all over the boat I now have my "man cave".  It has been frustrating at times but a real feeling of accomplishment to sit back & look at all the things I've done.  The people on this site have helped more than I can put into words.  Enjoy!!!
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jim : Welcome Aboard!!

When you post anything make sure to include your hull# and production year - as there are many variations to the C34s!!!  That way you'll get the correct answer to your posts!! 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Capt.Jim

Thanks Ron.. I will do that as soon as I figure it out what the heck I have.
Trust me this was kind of an "eyes closed" purchase... Hopefully it won't hurt much since I've purchased "as is"..
But I'll add that info on my signature line once I know..
Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

DaveBMusik

Welcome! I just finished the first summer with mine. It's a nice sailing boat!
The critical upgrades and 101 series under the message board is a great place to start!
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

ghersche12

Congrats! I bought mine March 2015. Now the projects begin - fortunately for you this group and database of knowledge is AMAZING.
In the 2 years I've had GypSea lots of projects. Recovered cushions, New Canvas, and curtains (wife did these), Standing Rigging replaced, Heat Exchanger, Replaced Port side Fixed Port Lenses, Rebuilt roller fuller, replaced Head Counter & nav upper counter, replaced cutlass, new lifelines, new exhaust hose, new main... that was all in the first six months.
You've hooked into the best bank of improvements I've ever come across.

Bill Shreeves

Congrats!  My wife and I just completed our first season on our new to us 87' #333.  Like you, I've been reading the hell out of this site and everything I can get my hands on.  Other than enthusiasm and love for our 34, I haven't felt I've yet had much to offer this site.  So, to you I pass my enthusiasm and hope that you get as much joy from your boat as we have from our "Beginnings".  Ours also needs a bunch of TLC and I'm up for the labor of love.  This is our first boat, other than the Hobie 16 I bought new in '82 and sold in '85.  Whew, so,so much to learn!
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD