Companionway wood slats...???

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Jim

Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

Noah

Strip, sand, varnish.  Light sand, varnish, repeat at least 4 times. Love!  8) :thumb:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Capt.Jim

Quote from: Noah on December 04, 2016, 06:59:53 PM
Strip, sand, varnish.  Light sand, varnish, repeat at least 4 times. Love!  8) :thumb:

Yep, that's what I am working on lately...  :thumb:
Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

KWKloeber

BTW I know, "It never rains in SoCal" !! but do you folks on the right coast have an issue w/ rain blowing inside under the bottom weather board?

It was a problem on the 30, because the bottom of the opening is "flat"

The fix was to screw down a 3/4 x 3/4 teak (or alum) strip onto the flat teak, up against the bottom board.

Are 'all y'alls a flat, or "stepped," step?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Breakin Away on December 04, 2016, 05:39:17 PM
FWIW, at some point Catalina switched to three boards instead of two. I have the vent cut in the gap between two of the boards. I can't remember which ones right now.

They made the change on the Mark IIs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 04, 2016, 08:14:01 PM
BTW I know, "It never rains in SoCal" !! but do you folks on the right coast have an issue w/ rain blowing inside under the bottom weather board?

It was a problem on the 30, because the bottom of the opening is "flat"

The fix was to screw down a 3/4 x 3/4 teak (or alum) strip onto the flat teak, up against the bottom board.

Are 'all y'alls a flat, or "stepped," step?

kk

My boat, a 1986 model, has a half round piece of wood inside the bottom board.  Don't know if the PO added it or if it was OEM.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Ken- my companionway threshold does have a "weather stop" piece of rounded teak that the bottom hatch board butts up against. Figures, the one pic I didn't take!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Steve_in_lex

I have the three teak board configuration and it works fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions about replacing one of the boards with a frame that has a screen?  It'd be nice to have more ventilation below, while keeping the hatch closed.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

KWKloeber

i saw a companionway like that.  not pretty slick.
not sure it was cataline, tho.
search google images

i believe lowes or HD has the screen alum, only things it the corner inserts are 90 degree.

kk

patrice

Quote from: Stu Jackson on December 04, 2016, 08:34:31 PM
My boat, a 1986 model, has a half round piece of wood inside the bottom board.  Don't know if the PO added it or if it was OEM.

Mine has the same half round piece.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on December 05, 2016, 06:06:05 PM
i saw a companionway like that.  not pretty slick.
not sure it was cataline, tho.
search google images

i believe lowes or HD has the screen alum, only things it the corner inserts are 90 degree.

kk

Ooops, my fault for being on a darn "device."
What I tried to say was -- It WAS PRETTY SLICK looking, but NOT sure it was on a Catalina.