Companionway wood slats...???

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Jim

My boat has two piece of those wood and look pretty warn out. Do they sell those pieces?
Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

Stu Jackson

i tried Catalina Direct but all they have are hatch boards for a C25.

Catalina Yachts is still in business, thought you would know this.  Have you tried them?

That said, while yours may be in poor shape, since they are most likely solid, like ours are, have you considered refinishing them?  Teak cleaner followed by teak brightener, followed by the coating of your choice or none.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Capt.Jim

Quote from: Stu Jackson on November 28, 2016, 10:42:58 PM
i tried Catalina Direct but all they have are hatch boards for a C25.

Catalina Yachts is still in business, thought you would know this.  Have you tried them?

That said, while yours may be in poor shape, since they are most likely solid, like ours are, have you considered refinishing them?  Teak cleaner followed by teak brightener, followed by the coating of your choice or none.   :D

Obviously I am going to refinish them but my worry is not that they look ugly but structurally worn. I mean the top portion of the bottom piece looks like it was shaved unevenly.

I guess I can always get a dark colored thick plexiglass cut to fit that area but I still prefer the classic varnished wood look.
Capt. Jim Davis

patrice

Hello capt.

SInce you have the original in hand, put them flat and mesure outside dimension, cut piece of plywood to install temporary while not at boat.

Take the original piece to a woodshop near you and ask them what you would like.  They will be please to make new one and even add a personal touch.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Capt.Jim

Quote from: patrice on November 29, 2016, 04:53:03 AM
Hello capt.

SInce you have the original in hand, put them flat and mesure outside dimension, cut piece of plywood to install temporary while not at boat.

Take the original piece to a woodshop near you and ask them what you would like.  They will be please to make new one and even add a personal touch.

That's why I need to be on a board like this... See, as a typical consumer I never thought of that! :?
Thank you!!!
Capt. Jim Davis

Breakin Away

If you're looking at replacement anyway, you might check into the companionway doors from Zarcor and others. The Zarcor ones open like normal doors, and are also removable if you want to get them entirely out of the way.
I had them on a charter boat once, and they were NICE. They are pricey, which is why I'm sticking with what I have. But if I needed to replace mine, I'd probably go with Zarcor.

One mod that I have on my list is to make a replacement for the middle hatchboard (my boat has three, not two) which consists of a wooden outline frame and screen in the middle. It would improve ventilation through the boat while anchored out, while keeping bugs out.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Stu Jackson

The Zarcor and other doors look very nice, visually.

But one has to look at the operational details before spending the money on them.

From those pictures, and all others I have seen, because the threshold of the companionway is below the seat level of the cockpit seats, the doors can only open 90 degrees.

Thus, they work just fine if you have a need to keep the companionway closed for most of the time, like with air conditioning, heating, or bugs.

I was fortunate, ever since we bought our boat, to have the ability to sail with the hatch boards out, and only, sometimes, put them in at night.  While things may be different in my new environment, so far not.  I can't imagine not having the companionway open for quick access down below.  I suppose doors could be considered quick access...  I once sailed with a skipper on a beautiful day and he kept his hatch boards in.  Found out later he served in submarines!!! :D

Just a cautionary explanation of how the doors work on a C34.  Other boats have conditions where the doors could open fully, not ours.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Breakin Away

As I mentioned, we had those doors on a one-week C320 charter, so I speak from much more experience than just looking at a picture. The ones we used (not sure they were Zarcor) have a detente that keeps them open at the 90° position. [Edit: It might not be a detente - you'll see that the angle that the doors are mounted causes their weight to keep them open. All I know is it stayed open fine. The slant also takes a little room away from the settee, which may bother some more than others. That angle is much less steep for the C320 and C34 than is is for the C310 shown in the picture, so the space lost is less.] After a week with these doors we decided the positives far outweighed any negatives. And they did allow us to keep the doors closed while in the cockpit, which was very handy for keeping heat in the cabin during our early spring charter. Yet we could still get very fast access into the cabin if needed - much much faster than the hatchboards, which are so cumbersome to remove that keeping them closed is actually are a safety issue while sailing. And they also come with screen inserts for summer use at anchor.

We ended the charter with my wife saying, "We definitely need those when we get our new boat" (which we now have). Then I asked her if it was worth $800 to her, and she said, "Maybe not." We have other "must-haves" to buy first.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

I installed Zarcor doors a few years ago.  The main reason was I put in AC and got tired of the hatch boards.  I don't see any down side to the Zarcor doors. Except the cost.  The 90 deg opening isn't a problem for me.  And, the doors come off so quick and easy if there were a problem I  would just remove and put them in a berth.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

capt'n..........

If you buy some teak boards you can make them, the tops are simply routed to overlap, but note the sides are a separate piece dado'd into the end grain of the boards. Or

Call CTY parts in fla.  Or

Call Cesar, formerly lead carpenter with H&L marine wpoodwork, the teak suppliers to CTY
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=7879.0
tell him ken from weekend'r products sent you.  Or

Call (don't email) CD, and ask for Kent - they have 'crib boards' and probably the place they have to make them can probably mill some to fit yours. given exact dimensions. Or

http://www.teakmarinewoodwork.com/

or .............

-ken

Quote from: Capt.Jim on November 28, 2016, 08:40:06 PM
My boat has two piece of those wood and look pretty warn out. Do they sell those pieces?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Jim

I'm not 100% positive but believe that the Fla group (TMW) is who bought out all the stock that H&L had left when it "ceased biz" some 4-5 years ago (I used to rep for H&L until they went out of biz.)

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Capt J : Those hatch are teak and were made at the factory for YOUR C34. 
If you want new ones you'll have to make a pattern so the new ones will match/fit !!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I'd do as Stu suggested and refinish the hatch boards you have.  Teak easily cleand up and sands nicely.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

I made companionway doors like the Zarcor, but mine are solid wood.  I hate slats.  I have the lift off hinges so we completely remove the doors when sailing.
I only use the doors on the weekends when we are actually on the boat and put the slats back in place when we close up to go home.

Capt.Jim

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 29, 2016, 02:39:47 PM
Capt J : Those hatch are teak and were made at the factory for YOUR C34. 
If you want new ones you'll have to make a pattern so the new ones will match/fit !!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I'd do as Stu suggested and refinish the hatch boards you have.  Teak easily cleand up and sands nicely.

A thought

Roger that Ron. I began to work on them. The reason I was asking is this: As you all probably know hatch boards are two separate pieces.There is a slight opening in the middle portion of these two pieces when they sit on top of each other... I don't know the purpose of it. Is it a grab area so you can put your fingers thru or air intake or whatever...

That portion of the bottom piece was really warn out. I mean looks it looks like some volume of the wood is lost there. It is not an evenly cut looks to it. If I sand or grind it to an even level the opening will be larger than i would like it to be. That's why I was thinking to replace the bottom piece if I decide to keep the classic varnished wood look on my boat or go with the plastic/glass screen type of modern looking hatch cover.

As first option, I am trying to redo them and see what will I end up with.

Capt. Jim Davis

KWKloeber

sounds like your weather boards are screwed up.  pics?

-kk