Replacement bulb

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Noah,
You are so very right.  Need to check if your incandescent tube can be replaced by a LED tube.  Marinebeam was very helpful with this technical info.
Thanks for pointing this out.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Noah, as I also mentioned below (but will repeat anyway LOL)  Nate is coming up with a strip "fluorescent" light with both red/white on the "tube".  Currently the only option is a double tube (one red -- WAY too bright -- and white.) 

The new one will be red SMDs mounted on the same tube as the white (I think it will be a ratio of like 3 or 4 white to one red) and may be more useful to some owners than refitting an old fixture.  The switching will be like his other switching combo red/white LED bulbs.  This should be a giant improvement over replacing old fixtures where you want both red and white.

The only beef I have with his double "tube" fixtures, is they are RV, not 'marine" -- e.g., (1) there's a WIRE NUT on the switch wires inside, (2) the plastic cases look way too fragile, and (3) they look like they will yellow badly with any UV exposure (I'd hope not, but....)  I hope the new combo red/white tube fixture will be much better quality.   :think :think

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

I am not familar with the OEM dual tube flourscents as there weren't any on my boat when I purchased it. I was just speaking of being cautious of LED replacement bulbs in old fixtures, not specifics. I opted to switch to a variety of manufacturer's dedicated LED fixtures, for didn'r area in the boat--with all offering dual red and white settings and most dimming and highb and low setting,  as well. Take a look at Alpenglow:  https://www.alpenglowlights.com/store/product/product_id-12/name-led-9-watt-dual-power-with-night-vision.html. One, but the best in my opinion. I use two of these in main salon overhead.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Paulus

Noah,
I did look at these lights.  My boat came with small square type(6''x6') with one regular bulb in each, located under and above the shelf.  I replaced them later with flourescent fixtures with 2 tubes.  They about 5''x17".  My 12' tubes had numbers on them so that I could match these with LED tubes.  I just do not want to but additional holes in my boat.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

Not sure what you meant about not wanting to put holes in your boat, but...? I want/need a lot of (efficient) light so I switched all my fixtures to LED and used these Alpenglows mounted on the main salin coachroof to light up the entire cabin. They feature high and low and white and red settings. Here is the link from my earlier post on them.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8195.msg57366/topicseen.html#msg57366
Standard Rig

Paulus

Noah, your pics look great.  By holes I mean were the lights mount into the ceiling.  Small screw holes.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

Thx! Many ways to skin a cat 8)
Standard Rig