Alternator Bracket

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

My 90 had a bad belt misalignment, I had to take the mount off that holds alternator cut it and put an offset in the bracket of about .250'' . it's nice not having all the rubber dust.  There was no other way to correct the issue.  Slotting the holes adding spacers were not achieving what it needed.  I like this bracket for adjustment. How springy is it? is that hard drill rod or just low carbon steel rod?
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

kh3412

Quote from: Indian Falls on November 24, 2016, 08:46:21 AM
My 90 had a bad belt misalignment, I had to take the mount off that holds alternator cut it and put an offset in the bracket of about .250'' . it's nice not having all the rubber dust.  There was no other way to correct the issue.  Slotting the holes adding spacers were not achieving what it needed.  I like this bracket for adjustment. How springy is it? is that hard drill rod or just low carbon steel rod?
The threaded rod is a Truck spring bolt and the bent part is stainless steel tubing heavy wall. I have not run the engine, yet have to wait till spring. During fitting it seems like secure.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

kh3412

Finally got to the boat. Spring is here :clap
Installed new Bracket after machining it down to give the belt more room.
Hopefully this will help with belt slipping and changing.

KWKloeber

Very nice job. Looks great, kudos.

Change into the recommended  Dayco top cog belt will also cut down on heat where and dust
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

kh : From you picture (which may be misleading??) it looks like your alternator needs to be moved fwd.

Take a straight edge ruler and place it on the bottom pulley touching both side of the pulley. The other end of the straight edge should touch both sides (or lay flat) on the face of the alternator pulley.

You should look from above and the belt should be in a straight line.

Again your picture could be deceiving?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Kurt

A thought.... how about a steel tube on the threaded rod - under the pivot, to bring the lower nut down below the belt (just smidgen easier to access)?  :idea:

Theoretically, if the lower not was locking, would you still need the upper nut?  :?:

When do you go into manufacturing mode???  :wink:

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

kh3412

Ron, the belt is straight my picture taking skill are off.
Ken, Thought about a sleeve but went with the keep it simple approach. The sleeve would catch on the threads and make loosening harder.
Besides the belt was in the way for the old setup and it was not really in the way now.
Thanks
kurt