Alternator Bracket

Previous topic - Next topic

kh3412

Winter has it's good points. Have time to try to improve the boat without cutting into sailing time. One of the small projects for me was the alternator bracket. Although you can tighten the belt it is not the most convenient job to do.Searching the site came up with many ways and tools, all that can get the job done. My spin on it follows. Wanted to get rid of the sharp edge of the factory bracket and allow adjustment without special tools. This simple rod and two nuts allow me to adjust and lock in place the alternator with only a 9/16" wrench. works good on the bench but this weekend will mount on the boat and try :?
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Stu Jackson

kh, the top section where your adjuster "lands" appears to be the same spot that the top bolt of the entire bracket bolts through to the engine.  This would be the starboard top, when facing the engine would be the upper left toward the centerline of the boat and engine.  How does that work?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kh3412

Stu Not sure of your question, my adj rod only attaches to the two bolt holes that the original does. the ear on the alt and the bolt where the slot was.

Stu Jackson

Ah, good, I was wrong.  I forgot the leg of the front piece sticks out further to starboard, but was not clear in the first picture, kinda hidden behind.  Good idea, let us know how it goes.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

kh,

Neat design.  Bravo.  Wondering..... had you checked the bolt diameters regarding mismatch to the bracket/alt foot, and also used a nut on the bolt on the alt end of the bracket, instead of relying on the aluminum threads?

Also wondering if it would be better to use nylocks and/or double-lock-nut the alt side of the adjusting threads? 
Let us know how it works!!!  And how easy to adjust when in place.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

kh3412

Will try to get this installed sunday but unable to run boat till spring arrives. Ken, bolts should be right snug fit Metric on alt, the two nuts will lock themselfs tight, we use this style adjuster on trucks with no problem. Yes, i will put a nut on the back of the alt ear bolt. The alt here was just for mockup and had to go back on the self. The rod is 3/8 ss tubing heavy wall, the threaded part is a 3/8 hardened truck spring center bolt welded on. Very stiff. we keep you informed.

kurt

kh3412

Well put the bracket on today and adjusting was easy and worked well, but have to rework the pivot as the belt rubs. So back to the drawing board.

KWKloeber

Kurt

Is it just the head? 
How about countersinking your pivot and using a hex or torx drive flat-head bolt?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

kh3412

Ken that's my next move. Will try new pivot this weekend. I'll update then.

patrice

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

kh3412

Made a new pivot with recessed bolt. Kinda ruins one wrench adjusting, but still easier just need an allen wrench. Will try to get to the boat this weekend to see if it will fit.

KWKloeber

kh3412

Installed the updated pivot. Look like it will work ok.
May take the bracket off and mill 3/16 off the face to give me a little more clearance.Hoping this works out as adjusting is easy and may cut down on the belt dust.

KWKloeber

VERY cool!

It looks to me like the belt is riding way too low in the Alt pulley -- is that the right width?
I'd recommend you go with a Dayco - TOP COG belt.  It will cut down on dist and run cooler!!  It's the belt my Wb distributor recommended.

Ken

Stu Jackson

kh, it could just be the angle of the second photo, but you may have seen this about belt alignment from the 101 topic thread:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7917.msg55162.html#msg55162