Draining the aft water tank

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

I'm heading to the boat tomorrow to winterize and need to drain the aft water tank, however I currently have my water pump removed because I'll be installing a new one in the spring.  So, how do I drain the aft tank without using the water pump and running the water out through a faucet? 

It's been awhile since I've even looked at the aft tank and can't remember if there is access to pull off an inlet hose from the aft lazarette or if there's an access panel on the aft cabin's aft bulkhead. 
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Stu Jackson

Quote from: kwaltersmi on October 24, 2016, 01:33:14 PM
I'm heading to the boat tomorrow to winterize and need to drain the aft water tank, however I currently have my water pump removed because I'll be installing a new one in the spring.  So, how do I drain the aft tank without using the water pump and running the water out through a faucet? 

It's been awhile since I've even looked at the aft tank and can't remember if there is access to pull off an inlet hose from the aft lazarette or if there's an access panel on the aft cabin's aft bulkhead.

Just open both valves and let the aft tank drain into the forward starboard one.  You should NOT need to dig around aft.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

I pull the suction line off the water pump and let the tanks drain into the bilge.  I then use a shop vac in the "blow" mode and blow into the fill port while plugging the vent with my finger.  This should get most water out of the lines, especially the aft tank lines.  I never put antifreeze into the tank.  It's worked well for me for the last 7 years.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

tommyt

Agree with Stu, no reason to dig around in the garage. If your pump is already out just open up the feeder line from the aft tank, and forward tank for that matter, and let it drain into the bilge. That should take care of it all.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ron Hill

kwalt : As mentioned just take the input line off of the pump (guess it's already off!)   Then open both tank valves just behind where the water pump was mounted and let the water from both tanks gravity drain.

All the water will empty into the bilge from both tanks. Have the bilge pump do the work (you've also checked the bilge system!!)  The aft tank will completely drain, but there will be about a couple of quarts still lying flat in the bottom of the starboard tank.  You can add some potable anti -  freeze or cheap vodka to the starboard tank for winterization. 
In my early C34 owner years I would unscrew the 4" cleanout cap on the top of the starboard tank and sponged out that residual water.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Pgutierrez

1) First drain ALL water tanks by using the water pressure pump.
2). Duct tape shop vac to the kitchen sink suck out any remaining water.
3)  Dump one liter cheap rum or vodka in each fresh water tank. EASIER in spring commissioning to minimize or avoid "freshening the tanks" routine.  Allows for Bloody Mary or rum & coke for spring commissioning routine.  Helps kill bacteria sitting in lowest points of the tanks.
4). Critical to blow out AC heat exchanger:  first disconnect raw water intake filter) and run antifreeze through top AC heat exchanger until it comes out of the disconnected AC raw water filter bowl. 
5). Make sure to open ALL Marlon fittings to drain any remaining water in through hull water lines. 
6). Disconnect hot water heater intake & out lines, blow out (or suck out) with shop vac. 
7). Disconnect fresh water pressure pump in & out lines.  Blow out or suck out water pump (or run one cup cheap booze thru intake line of pump until it comes out the out spigot).