DIY Docking Stick

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on October 13, 2016, 04:23:58 AM
Another idea is in the excellent "Good Old Boat" magazine Sep/Oct issue 2016 pg 65.  It's a bowline loop and a twist hitch on the end of a boat hook.  Do need to keep a little tension on the line to keep the twist hitch tight.
Jim

hmmmmmm.... how about a clip screwed to the backside of the hook on the pole.   
1/2" or 3/4" pvc with a split, to form a clamp to hold the line?  or two clamps on the pole to hold the bowline. Kinda like turning your pole itself into a docking stick, but it doesn't stay with the line when you drop it?

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on October 13, 2016, 04:23:58 AM
Another idea is in the excellent "Good Old Boat" magazine Sep/Oct issue 2016 pg 65.  It's a bowline loop and a twist hitch on the end of a boat hook.  Do need to keep a little tension on the line to keep the twist hitch tight.
Jim

Simple, elegant solution sans all the doohickeys.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

tgsail1

I bought this one last year- haven't had the need to use it so I can't report on how well it works. Additional clips are pretty cheap.
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/ststmoho.html
and
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/ststassnho4.html
Wouldn't risk my life with it, but for picking up a mooring no problem.

Jim Hardesty

This reply is not intended to diminish the great idea and gadget presented by Dan.  Thanks Dan. FWIW I plan on making one up this winter and try it.
My go-to way to loop a cleat or piling I saw at a boat show.  Put 3 well made good sized loops in your left hand, 4 in your right hand, swing them under hand like 1-2-3 then throw easy.  To loop over something, cleat one end to your boat, hold or stand on the other end.  To throw the whole line just have the bitter end in your right hand and let go.  Half inch newer, ie soft, line works best.  With a little practice you can throw over something further than a boat pole can reach.
I couldn't find a video.  But here is an article

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2014/june/how-to-throw-a-line.asp

Thanks again Dan.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ralph Masters

Any problems with copy right??
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dancrosswis

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on October 14, 2016, 04:50:53 AM
My go-to way to loop a cleat or piling I saw at a boat show.  Put 3 well made good sized loops in your left hand, 4 in your right hand, swing them under hand like 1-2-3 then throw easy.  To loop over something, cleat one end to your boat, hold or stand on the other end.  To throw the whole line just have the bitter end in your right hand and let go.  Half inch newer, ie soft, line works best.  With a little practice you can throw over something further than a boat pole can reach.
I couldn't find a video. 

Here's a video.  It's poor quality, but you can see what's going on.  As Jim says, split the coil in two, one coil and each hand, and then throw them both at the same time over the piling, just hanging onto the ends.  Works well with practice.