Espar Heater fuel line

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Espar Heaters.  I installed a Espar heater last season.  I used 3/16" copper fuel line from the pump to the heater, could not use the plastic line that came with the espar as it would not meet Coast Guard requirements.  Heater has been working fine.  Today, after talking to the Espar people they told me that I should be using the plastic fuel line.  Those of you that have and espar heatesr, what type of fuel line are you using from the pump to the heater? 
Thanks, Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jack Hutteball

I have the Espar plastic tube on mine.  The Coast Guard Aux gives me a safety inspection every year and has never said anything.  Maybe they haven't noticed.  The tube is so small I doubt it would contribute much of anything in a fire.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Paulus

Jack, I replaced my copper with the plastic fuel line this week, having trouble with bubbles or air on start up.  This is due to the fact that I can't bend the plastic sharp enough to have a continuous incline from the pump to the heater.  My heater is only 2' higher than the pump.  With the copper I was able to bend it sharp enough to eliminate this problem.   I have found metric copper but don't need 50', this copper is the same size as the plastic.  Working on trying to find 3'. 
Hopefully this makes some sense.  If I had put the heater in locker this would not have been an issue.
Thanks, Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Jack Hutteball

Paul, not quite sure about your installation relative to mine.  My fuel line comes straight off the Racor filter and runs to the heater.  Gradual incline all the way.  The pump in the heater does the work.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Paulus

My fuel comes directly  from the tank and the pump sits on top of the tank.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Jack, did you mean to imply that your Espar heater has a pump inside the heater?  Where is your pump located?  I did locate 4mm copper fuel line and it is on order.  Should be here by the end of next week.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

jmcdonald

Can anyone tell me what  the possible problem with a copper line & diesel fuel
would be?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: jmcdonald on October 07, 2016, 10:43:28 PM
Can anyone tell me what  the possible problem with a copper line & diesel fuel
would be?

jm, most likely the answer would be the fittings and connections.  Copper uses compression fittings which many folks may not be familiar with.  OTOH, approved rubber hose for fuel is simple:  hose barbs and clamps which almost everyone is, or should be, knowledgeable about.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

They are butt joints with clamps.  Espar kits come with a 4mm plastic fuel line, I want to use copper and have found 4mm copper.  Will also install with butt joints and clamps. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

jmcdonald

Stu,
You mean somehow the inherit quality of the seal of the fittings, or that they can be easily
installed wrong or poorly.
I have always found the compression fitting to work pretty well and able to hold quite a bit
of pressure.
Just thinking there mite be more to why they don't recommend the uses of
the copper tube.

Paulus

Should read my first post.  I already had used copper but the wrong size for the past two years. Just trying to put in the right size tube. The fuel tube has to be 4mm on outside and 1,25mm on the inside. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

jmcdonald

Got it. Size, not material the real problem.
Thanks.

Jack Hutteball

Poulis, I have no pump form the connection at the Racor filter.  There is a pump in the heater that does te work.  I was told that if the heater is more than 3' above the fuel, then an additional pump is required.  Mine is not.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Paulus

Jack, My Espar has a fuel metering pump that fits on pick up pipe in the fuel tank.  It only has to pump fuel up 3".  My espar kit came with the metering pump.  Works great just trying to replace 3/16 copper tubing.  The Espar people told me that I needed to use the 4mm plastic fuel line.(warranty issue) I have located 4mm copper and will be using this.  Need to get the dip out of the fuel line.
I guess that all models are not the same.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944