Rudder post stuffing box

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

Has anyone undertaken this project?  I believe the packing has to be 3/8" square but not sure on length or if you need to put in separate coils.
Appreciate any info. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Thanks, Stu.  I did go to the Edison web site but had not seen this article.  I did do a search.  The only reason I was thinking of doing this because I had greased my steering cables and had tightened my cables.  I thought since everything was apart I would change the packing. I have no water in the skag indentation. 
Thanks, Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

tommyt

Paul, did you spend the summer in the North Channel again this year? How about a little recap of the trip and a top five if you have them?

Thanks
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Paulus

Tommyt, yes we did.  My wife and I spend 3 months aboard Cool Change.  We also had 3 grandchildren with us, but not all at the same time.  I would be glad to post our trip but not here.  Maybe there is a place on our web site for trips??
I could also email you a more detailed account, need to bring my log book home first.
Thanks for the interest.  Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on October 03, 2016, 06:10:20 PM
Maybe there is a place on our web site for trips??

How about the C34 Cruising Wiki?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jack Hutteball

How about an article with pictures for the Mainsheet Magazine!
Jack Hutteball
C34 Associate Editor
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Paulus

Jack, will work on a article for Mainsheet with pics.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

tommyt

Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Ken Juul

The stuffing box is a single wrap.  When I did my rudder replacement, I just took the old piece to the local boat yard and they matched it and cut to length.  It wasn't very expensive.  Not sure if West Marine carries it or not.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA