fuel shutoff

Previous topic - Next topic

sailaway

Need to replace my fuel shutoff cable. Need to know the length of the cable. I have a 1986 34 with the shutoff located  in the engine gauge area. It's round knob I would like to replace it with the finger pull type. Charlie

Noah

Least risk is to remove cable and measure and order online or take it to a chandlery/parts supplier to match. I wouldn't trust another boat owners measurements. Too many variables. This is assuming you are "happy" with your current cable's run/routing.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Not sure why you need to replace it, but ours is very stiff, so I put a lanyard over the handle and now Peggy can easily use it to pull up and stop the engine.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

sailaway

Mine is getting stiffer just afraid it will fail looking for a new one. Can always turn it off at the engine. Charlie

Ron Hill

Sail : Have you tried to remove the handle and squirting some penetrating oil down the inside of that cable assembly?   
That should loosen things up.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

sailaway

Thanks for the help just ordered a new one catalina direct Charlie

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on September 10, 2016, 11:00:26 AM
They're not cheap!

Paul

Paul,  The OE "marine" 15-foot, Teleflex, T-handle cable is about 80 boat bucks.  You "just need to know where to go"  :D.
Aftermarket, non-marine choke cables w/ round pull handles can be had for about 30 bucks.

Make sure it's the came that's stiff and not the stop lever itself. I have an issue with the latter on my '84 M25.

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

OH crap, I screwed up AGAIN.  Sorry.  I forgot to add it's much better to pay Catalina Direct 119 boat bucks.
And damn I think I should passed those ideas on in three separate posts.  I'll do better next time. 

:rolling
-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain