Replacing lifelines

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

One of the projects I am looking at is replacing the lifelines on our new to us boat. I'm sure they are the original lines which are the vinyl covered type. I can see some corrosion and the covering is cracked and just plain ugly. They sag pretty badly and the adjustment is maxed out. I've read up on DIY lifeline projects and it sure doesn't seem like rocket science.  So what I'm thinking is replacing ours with 316, 1X19 3/16" uncovered stainless. I guess 1/8" would work but I think something a bit larger would not only be stronger but feel better on the hands. Thinking about the swage style fittings because they cost a bit less and using a bolt type swager is inexpensive as well. I was thinking I could also use a cut off wheel on my die grinder to cut the wire to size after taping so it doesn't unravel all over the place.

Anyway if you all have any insight I'd love to hear it.

1986 hull # 11

Mas   
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Fred Koehlmann

No insight yet, but we have been wondering/waffling about the replacement idea as well.

Ours still fit fine, but there is plenty of yellowing and rust showing through in spots where the lines have cuts in them. Not sure what the PO did to have those cuts in the line. So far we have been using vinyl clearer/restorer to clean it annually. I am aware that stainless steel will corrode in the absence of air, so we have been also wondering about replacing them with bare stainless wire.

My main concern about bare wire is that there is a potential to develop meat hooks in the wire if strands get cut or damaged. My experience from dinghy sailing makes me wary of bare stainless wire for this reason. Perhaps if you do go with a large wire it may be less of an issue (assuming larger wire has thicker strands and thus less likely to break or get damaged). As for the covered wire, if it lasts as long as the current one (+14 years) on our boat, then that's pretty good for me.

My two cents. Lets us know what you decide on an why.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ron Hill

Mas : I don't know where you have your C34??   
The best time to get a great deal on new lifelines is on the Off-Season.
The rigging companies need to stay busy!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

capndon

Mas, check out Rigging Only. You can measure or send in your old lifelines. Very reasonable prices and very quick turn around. We went with bare stainless and couldn't be happier!
1998 #1390 Ragtop

Rick Roberts

The other option is to use Amsteel ropes, cost about $1 - $1.20 per foot. You probably have more than enough of 200 feet. Really easy to splice, doesn't rust and less breaking points. My boat came with it when I got it, they are about 7-8 years old and still look good. Just make sure you use some chafe protection where the lifelines meets the stanchions.
1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

Jim Hardesty

Mas,  Your boat is twice the age of Shamrock and I'm thinking replacement.  So I think that lifeline replacement is due.  If you are storing on the hard this winter it's a good time to check and/or change them.  If you have any doubts about changing them do what I do every spring.  While I'm waxing and have a ladder up. I reach up and pull myself on the lifelines almost off the ladder.  Like a chin-up.  Be careful and ready if the lifeline breaks.  As much a hands on DYI person as I am, lifeline replacement is one job I will have a rigger do.  The reason is a pro should have a rotary press to install the crimped studs.  Much stronger and better looking.  If you do order parts or order lifelines made up also specify the studs for size and thread direction.  Some are right hand on one end and left hand on the other.
FWIW  I also like the bare stainless and that will probably be my choice when I do replace.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

gwp

One minor consequence of bare lifelines is leg hair wedging between strands and pulling out.....but still a great plan

lucky

I stripped the white plastic off and just have the cable.Don't have to worry about rust,looks good
Al Landry
c34 hull#13
Lucky

tgsail1

Two years ago while delivering our 1987 C34 to its new owner, one of the lifelines broke. The wire itself was not the failure, but rather the swage stud fitting where it screwed into a turnbuckle. Looking at the break, crevice corrosion was the culprit. It was actually the threaded portion that snapped. When considering replacing the lifelines, its not just the wire but all of the fittings that become suspect. My $0.04 (inflation).

Ralph Masters

Two years ago I replaced ours with bare stainless. They look good and with the white plastic you'll always get the yellowing of the plastic.
Another plus of bare is you can see the condition of the wire.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

Quote from: gwp on October 16, 2016, 07:04:22 AM
One minor consequence of bare lifelines is leg hair wedging between strands and pulling out.....but still a great plan

My wife has very fine hair on her thigh and gets this.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677